Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bottyshakeit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Time off work from Abortion
    How long after a DNC can you go back 2 work? And how long after you have an abortion can you go back 2 work?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 02:11 PM
    You know, botty, I have to think about that one because all us women are different in their recovery time. I had a miscarriage and was up and about in a week but told not to run or walk fast and sleep a lot. So that's me.

You had a D&C after, that's good (just don't have sex anytime soon) because you are so extremely clean and suceptible after one of those.

I don't know how old you are, love, so can really say for sure. I was 30 after my adventure, so go from that age. Are you in good health ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Yes and do you work hauling trash on a garbage truck, do you unload semi trucks at walmart warehouse, or do you work in a office.

There are many "ifs" you take the time off you and your body has to have.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Another thing is most places do not allow you any time off for abortions or miscarriages. All depends on where you work. All depends on the laws that govern each country, state. Here in Canada, government or work does not cover anything from miscarriages or abortions.

Like tickle said, about the sex thing you should wait until your body heals which could take a couple of months or so.

Joe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Here in the states it is illegal for your doctor to ask you specifically why you are taking off work. It is the HIPAA law and protects your privacy regarding health related issues. I sure am glad I don't live in Canada.

What you need is for your doctor to write you an excuse for the length of time that HE or SHE wants you to be off work.

As has been said, every woman's body is different, and every job is different. Length of time off would directly reflect the job you do. As a person, you may only need a few days to a week off, but if your working environment is industrial (meaning a lot of lifting) this could be lengthened to a few weeks.
    jordyx2 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 04:33 PM
    You can go back to work 4 weeks after an abortion
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordyx2
    you can go back to work 4 weeks after an abortion
    Jordy, you are in 8th grade and you know this for a fact? I am sorry I beg to differ. Every woman is different and every job is different. The doctor is the best person to give this poster a recommendation for her particular situation.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Here in the states it is illegal for your doctor to ask you specifically why you are taking off work. It is the HIPAA law and protects your privacy regarding health related issues. I sure am glad I don't live in Canada.

What you need is for your doctor to write you an excuse for the length of time that HE or SHE wants you to be off of work.

As has been said, every woman's body is different, and every job is different. Length of time off would directly reflect the job you do. As a person, you may only need a few days to a week off, but if your working environment is industrial (meaning a lot of lifting) this could be lengthened to a few weeks.
    It depends on the type of company you work for as well. My company specifically has forms for the doctor to fill out and if we want any amount of time off that is longer then two days then we need to get the doctor to fill out of the form stating exactly what the medical condition is and what is the prognosis and the estimate time to return to work. We need to give permission for the doctor to fill out the form, but if we did not then we would not get any coverage and expected to be back at work.

As far as miscarriages or abortions. That is another story and quite honestly I think it is very unjust and unfair. There may be some differences in health care and laws but at least for majority of health care costs are covered.
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Joe, that may be well and good there in Canada, but we have laws here in the US that protect our physical and mental health privacy. They are called HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act). It provides privacy to everyone. No one can know what is going on with our health without our express permission and a medical release signed.

As this poster is from the US, these laws would apply to her.

Trust me Joe, I know about this, not only from school, but had to deal with it in a law firm I worked with when undergoing my cancer treatments.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 08:31 PM
    We have a very strict privacy of information act here in Canada. We don't have to divulge to an employer the reason for a hospital stay. But if they need confirmation that it is a hospital stay, then the doctor has to provide proof but not why.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my wife to go to work full time? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having difficulty getting my wife to go to work full time to get us back on our financial feet again . When I bring up the topic it gets to where she is always on the defensive. All of our children are grown and she works part time 2 days a week by her choice. It started as 3 days but she told...

Abortion? [ 54 Answers ]

I haven't told anyone about this... if I had a baby now id would be so unhappy. I don't have the money or the time kto put into it... same with my boyfriend... we are not married yet, we are taking things one step at a time, if we had a baby it would screw up our plans. You know? Well if I turn...

Abortion [ 33 Answers ]

I know my views... what are yours?

Live in New Jersey but work Full Time In NYC [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved to NJ last August. I worked half a year as a NY resident and now half a year as a NJ resident. I just did my taxes and found that I owed NJ. Does anyone know how to figure out how much money to put aside for next year? I was under the impression that since NY has higher taxes I...

97 Honda Civic/lights and AC won't work at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My 1997 Honda Civic is acting up. It was raining yesterday and I had the AC going on defrost. When I turned my lights on, the AC went off. When I turned my lights off, the AC came back on. They won't work together. The battery is a lifetime battery, it starts up just fine, it's just...

View more questions Search