Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horse1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Is my dog sick?
    My dog is usually food crazy and eating a lot... but now the past 3 days she won't eat food! And instead has been puking and eating a lot of grass... :( And today I've looked in her poop and found many little white worms that look similar to maggots... Can anyone please help me!! Is my dog OK? What is wrong with her?:confused:
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Sounds like your dog has a pretty bad case of some type of worms... maybe tapeworms or hook worms. You should get to you local vet ASAP; they will give you medicine that will help get rid of the worms. Is your dog drinking water? Hopefully labman will be online soon, he could probably give you a more detailed answer! Good luck to you and your doggy! GET TO THE VET!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Eliminate dog worms | Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer for treating dog parasites It took care of tape, round, whip and hook worms. I believe the active ingredient is paraziquantel for the tapeworms. I bought this at Petsmart the walmart around my house did not carry it, although I have seen it since at other Walmarts. Both of my dogs had this, the neighbors dog across the street and one of my neighbors cat.They had them around the same time give or take a week or two. They were called tapeworms, and looked like rice/maggots in their poo and on the fur around their anus. My dogs did not stop eating though. But I did notice one of them scooting a lot and she did eat grass, so I figured she had it the longest. If you go this route make sure to follow directions and get the correct amount for your dogs body weight. If I were you and could afford a vet visit I would do that since the dog has stopped eating.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Horse, I agree with both posters above. Your dog has tapeworms. Have you been using a tick/flea treatment on your dog? If a dog has fleas, he will scratch and bite the areas that are bothering him, usually ingesting the flea. If the flea is infected with a tapeworm larvae, tapeworms develops in the dogs digestive tract. It sounds like your dog has a very bad case of tapeworm since he hasn't eaten in 3 days, is vomiting and eating grass only. Since he is in such extreme discomfort, it would be wise to go to the vets office as soon as possible for treatment. Speak to the vet about tick/flea products for the dog and about product for spraying your carpet & furniture down. If you dog has fleas, you have them in the house. You will need to vacuum all carpets & furniture and clean all bedding, wherever the dog has been. You will have to do this quite often until you are sure the flea problem has been resolved.
    horse1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Ok thank you for the help I will take her... Although she has been eating now... but usually we have to convince her too... I doubt she would eat it on her own but thanks for the help!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I really would not coax her to eat or act very worried about her not eating. I think if you act, overly anxious because of her not eating that you may cause her to start having issues at meal times. Dogs are very perceptive and pick up on our feelings and body language.
    unclesams Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Get To The Vet!
    puffball15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by horse1
    My dog is usually food crazy and eating alot.... but now the past 3 days she won't eat food!? And instead has been puking and eating alot of grass...:( And today I've looked in her poop and found many little white worms that look similar to maggots... Can anyone please help me!?!! is my dog ok? What is wrong with her?:confused:
    Your dog simply has worms... go to any store and they will surely have medicine...
    No worries...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is sick [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir... I m not sure wats happening gto my dog but is sick. He doesn't drink water and vomits what ever he eats

Maltese dog sick [ 7 Answers ]

I have a maltese dog about 1 year and 6 months old. She has been vomiting, clear white foamy-ness and her poop is kind of "Snotty" looking, she refuses to go outside and she has been mopey and not really wanting to play lately. I have taken her to the vet, and the vet said that she probably just...

My dog is sick ,any ideas? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi….I’m new here I just stumbled upon this site searching Yahoo for answers... Last week (fri/sat) my 8yr old American Staffordshire started having runny, slimy stools. Then 2days later he started puking. The 1st time it was chunky & contained everything he had eaten! Then it skipped a day, he...

My dog is very sick [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is very sick, she's 13 years old which I know is old for a dog but she was fine yesterday as she spent the day playing with a 2 yr old labrador which she has done everyday since we got the labrador 20 months ago,but last night it seemed that she got very tired, her heart began to race and...

My dog is sick! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my dog won't eat he has blissters on his mouth he is running a temp and has a swollen gland and I need 2 noe what it is fast so please help!! :eek:

View more questions Search