Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katinawright Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Jan 30, 2003, 09:26 AM
    Computers Networks
    Assuming no malfunction in any of the stations or nodes of a network, it is possible for a packet to be delivered to the wrong destination?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Mar 30, 2004, 02:01 PM
    Computers Networks
    If all the NIC's work properly and nothing malfunctions, I don't believe the packet will be picked up by a network card unless the destination address it it's own. On the other hand, a type of program called a "Packet Sniffer" will allow anyone on a network where packets being sent through their cable can be picked up, even if they are not address to their network card. This happens mostly on networks with hubs (not switches). When a switch is present, it determines what port the address is on using its internal routing tables, but a hub just sends the packet out on all ports reguardless of where its destination is. If you're main point is "Are packets of data safe from interception," the answer is no. Even switches can allow packets to be "sniffed," either by cascading more switches and computers down the same line, of if there are many ARP requests sent to the switch (ARP requests are what link your network card's physical built in address to it's IP or other protocol address), it can start working like a hub and just broadcasting these packets out.

So in summary, yes packets can be picked up by network cards other than the one intended for it, but not without intent by the user of that network card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 Networks 1 PC [ 13 Answers ]

Hi - I'm wanting to connect my girlfriend's laptop to my home network (so we can share files and she can access my printer) but this is already configured to be on her company network. Is there an easy way for me to configure her laptop so she can access my network when at home (as well as work...

Networks [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my two pc's to hook up so I can share files between the two?

Networks questions.. [ 6 Answers ]

dear all, can you please explain these questions below in networking... your help is really appreciated... best regards,

Neural networks [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Does anyone know anything about neural networks I am a uni student and would like to use one to model some aspects of learning and memory. Does anyone know where I could get one free, if not does anyone know what would be the best package to buy in terms of value for money? Plus does anyone...

Computers Networks [ 1 Answers ]

Explain the flaw in the following reasoning: Packet switching requires control and address bits to be added to each packet. This introduces considerable overhead in packet switching. In circuit switching, a transparent circuit is established. No extra bits are needed. A. Therefore, there is no...

View more questions Search