Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tennis61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Molding on stairs where the tread meets the riser?
    July 8, 2007

Thank you Esquire1, Stairman and Glavine for your responses, but please let me clarify. The staple marks are on the top side of the tread where it meets the riser, that is, they are on the part of the tread where you step when you go up and down the stairs. Your responses seemed geared towards the situation where the staple marks are on the under side of the tread. Does it make a difference? Should I be concerned that people might trip on the molding when they go up the stairs because they don't expect it to be there, and they may put their foot deep onto the tread?

Thanks again.

July 7, 2007
    I just removed carpeting from the stairs in my house and stained the stairs. There are unsightly staple marks where the tread meets the riser. Is it OK/appropriate/unusual to put molding there to cover the staple marks? Any other suggestions?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Moulding would work and look all right. You could also use a putty stick to match your stain to fill in the holes. The putty would be more quick and cheaper than moulding
    stairman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tennis61
    I just removed carpeting from the stairs in my house and stained the stairs. There are unsightly staple marks where the tread meets the riser. Is it OK/appropriate/unusual to put molding there to cover the staple marks? Any other suggestions?
    Actually it is normal to have a cove moulding under the tread nose, and against the riser. I usually use 11/16" x 5/8" cove mold, but you could make your own a little wider to help cover more damage by staples. Don't you just love how a carpet installer can put way too many staples on the stairs, making it hard to repair! I have seen carpet installers rip off my cove moulding so they can tuck the carpet under the nose tightly, but I don't believe they need 100's of staples to do the job.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Stair man is right, use cove mold that's what we do
    We also where needed will 45 the molding and wrap the corner back to the end of the nosing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High pressure riser noises [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I'm not a plumber, but if I describe the following can anyone offer suggestions: I live in a small block of flats in a two floor flat. My bedroom is on the top floor, just below the loft containing the cold water storage tanks. I believe these tanks serve about 10 flats. The high pressure...

Bent copper tubing riser [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all. We had a toilet leak in our upstairs bathroom. We've had a couple of plumbers out over the past couple of years to deal with the problem, but their work didn't fix the problem. As a result, our linoleum discolored and the floor got weak. We spent the day yesterday pulling up the...

Purchasing the right tread mill [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to purchase a treadmill. It would be for exercise and fun; I'm in shape and don't need to lose weight. What should I look for while shopping around? What's the difference between the motorized treadmills and the manual treadmills I've seen? Thanks.

View more questions Search