Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pageantgirly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Want my 401k money
    I have found a vacation home that I would like to purchase.. I need 20% down.. I want to get the money out of my 401k plan.. not worried about the taxes and penalties.. just want the money... how can I get it. Thanks
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 7, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Easy, write the 4019k) provider a letter, use their website, visit an office. If you still are employed with the plan owner (your employer) visit your HR Dept or call them. I understand you are not concerned with taxes, eenalties but you will get many responses that warn you it's a bad idea in most cases, especially for the nature of purchase you want to make.
    pageantgirly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 07:07 AM
    So there would be no hassel? Everybody has told me it is like pulling teeth... thanks again for the help
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 9, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Why even ask others, they don't have your money, ask the 401(k) provider or your HR Dept who sent them your money. I know you are concerned about how difficult to gain access to your money, but did you understand they are severe tax and other penalties for a premare withdrawal? (prior to your age 591/2) and that a beach home, especially if it's not your primary residence) is a luxury. Most finanacial advisors discourge even hardship withdrawals.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Submitting a withdrawal request is failry easy. Depending on your company they may try to talk you out of doing what is a foolish plan. But there may be a processing period of weeks or months depending on the plan. You don't say how much you need or plan to withdraw. But its possible you will need to withdraw almost TWICE the amount you need for the down payment.

You NEED to worry about the taxes and penalties. First, they will automatically withhold 20% against your tax liability. Plus there will be a 10% penalty. So lets say you need $20K, you will need to withdraw at least $25K to clear the $20K you need. Without knowing your tax bracket, its possible that the $25K in income will bump up your tax bracket, this means that not only may you owe more that the 20% withheld, but your regular income will be taxed at a higher rate. And that's not counting the 10% penalty whichy ia another $2500 (assuming a $25K withdrawal) you will need to come up at tx time.

Have you looked into a loan against your 401K? The interest rate is usually preety low, and you are paying the interest to yourself. Your whole payment goes back into your 401(k) account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

57 yo- need 401k money [ 2 Answers ]

After 37 years with same company, the company closed. I was laid off. I'm 57 yo And I need money out of my 401 to help start new business (was in transportation and Am about to open another trucking/transportation company.) What is the best way to Access my 401k with the least amount of...

Finding 401K money [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked at many different jobs over the years and have had money taken out of my pay for 401K. It has been many years since I have had any money come out of my checks for 401K. I would like to know how I can find the money I once contributed so I can use it for other things. I have no idea...

Need money from 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Need to take my money out of my 401k plan,what steps do I need to take.

Need money from my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. I am only 31 and I want to cash out my simple 401k that I have now and am still with the same emloyer. I want it to pay off my debt. Is there anyway I can get that money? I don't care if I pay a penalty at this point. Do I...

Taking money out of my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question hopefully you can help. I worked for United Parcel Service for about 4 years. I no longer work for them anymore. How do you think I can go about getting my money out of there 401k. I know about penalties and risks. But do you think I can be intitled to getting that money that I've...

View more questions Search