Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Leveling sand for flagstone patio
    Hopefully this will be the only HoneyDo item for the summer. I've seen a dozen websites about this but none of them really answer for me "what do I do now?".

I need to make this area almost level but slope a but away from the house. I'm out there now pulling it back toward the house with a 2x4 since it's higher on the yard side, but I'm just lost as to how I'll get it sloped the way I want it.

Then I read on half the sites that I should rent a compacter for the sand, and others don't even mention it.

Any tips for me? Thanks a million!

Here's the area and the flagstone I'll be laying, if it helps (the area is 25x15 feet):
    Attached Images

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 7, 2007, 05:17 AM
    When I've laid flags I have compacted the sand, but not with a compator, but a simple foot job worked.
    You do want it leveled and stomped down, but you also want the flags to settle into the sand for proper drainage, etc.

Good luck with your jigsaw ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Yes I'm seeing sites saying compacting is not needed too. I'm out there now using a snow shovel backwards and it seems to help.

My biggest bummer is after moving that 6 yards of sand (16,000 lbs) once, I'm seeing that I'm going to have to move a lot of it again - to get it back toward the house.

I'm winging it every step of the way having never done anything like this before.

Any tips on how to get the whole area sloped slightly away from the house? I've seen examples using pipes, but I don't get how they keep the pipes at the right angle while they're "screeing" the sand between them.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Ok, I've got a gameplan. I'm digging trenches and laying 1x4s at the proper slope that I want, so that I can screed the sand with them.

As for compacting, I'm definitely doing it. I want maximum compaction now, not later. There will be no roof rain on the patio, so I want the rain to run off it rather than drain down... which would cause settling.

Any comments are appreciated... again, I'm winging it every step of the way :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 7, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Sounds like a good plan to me
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 11:22 AM
    I'm done with creating the initial slope... finishing a cold beer then heading off to Home Depot for a Compactor
    Attached Images

curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Hehehehehehe Have you had fun rick :D
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 05:46 PM
    No. It is my curse that my better half knows I'll try anything... :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 01:45 AM
    That sounds like fun good for her ;)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 06:27 AM
    I love it!
    My wife had a pool put in last fall. I was sure she just bought me a pool to clean. I can't stay away from it now.
    But the pool builder left behind several of the excess tiles and I didn't the heart to get rid of them. I think I plan to... Do you know what that sounds like?
    Anyway, I wanted to make a table top to go on the grill table beside my Weber. Having never done tile work before, I was definitely on the uphill of the learning curve. But not to the extent you are!
    Yes, compact now. I heard the compacting was to prevent settling and cracking, if the stone can't support the weights going over it. A hand tamper should work fine.

Think about drainage. Is the surface going to be sealed? If not, rain will get between the stone. If you live in a freeze-zone, what about frost heaves? The better the drainage the less likely you'll get damage. Good luck, buddy!
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    No. It is my curse that my better half knows I"ll try anything... :)
    I really love the TV ad where Dad's in the kitchen, looks like he's munchin' cereal, and the daught is looking in the refigerator, says, "We need a new one... this one's old...
    You know the ad! He's convinced and Mom flips the cash without looking up. I just laugh!
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Thanks for the advice and encuragement folks. Some of you have asked how it's going... here's where I'm at now. The only thing left to do now is decide on what to plant between the stones.
    Attached Images

Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 2, 2007, 06:49 AM
    I said, "WOW! Rick! That's awesome!!"
    Happy Labor Day Weekend!
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Thanks. You too! Today will be rough, though. My daughter's 13th birthday party. I'll be chaperoning a gang of 22 13 year olds :eek:

... I'd better check the fridge to be sure there's plenty of beer :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
    LMAO oh how I would love to be there right now hehehehehehehehe
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 09:57 AM
    I would love you to be here too! The whole gang is cleaning up the house and yard in preparation for it - we could use some extra help :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Hehehehehehe Millie would have had a ball and id have happily helped you clean up or maybe id have been hiding in the kitchen tee hee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fill Sand vs. Paver Sand [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a difference in "Fill Sand" vs. "Paver Sand"? When quoting prices for laying a patio, I'm finding that Paver sand is about 10 times the price. Will Fill sand be sufficient if packed well and laid thick enough?

Trying to locate "artificial flagstone" for purchase. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey there, Trying to find out where I can locate and purchase a pre-made flagstone type paver. I had seen a show on one of those cable home improvement channels and I can't seem to find what they were using. The product if anyone is familiar with it is "flagstone" type flat stones with a few of...

Leveling a concrete floor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 12' x 12' concrete floor that was poured a bag at a time and has about a 2" high spot. The floor was worked too much and is far from smooth. What is the best and easiest way to level this floor? thanks

Flagstone patios with Web backing [ 3 Answers ]

HGTV recently featured on Landscaper's Challenge - precut flagstone that was machined and joined by a strong poly-type mesh or web. It fit together like a puzzle piece and could be trimmed to be free forming. I found an out of state dealer while searching the HGTV website, but would really like to...

How much floor leveling compound can I use? [ 6 Answers ]

My brother and I plan on putting down some laminate flooring but the existing sub floor very uneven. We are hoping to get out of replacing as much as we can and use some of that leveling material. So my question is how much is the max suggested? Is it 1/4" or ? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search