Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indi1420 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2004, 04:25 PM
    Multinetting issue
    I need some help understnding how the CISCO 6500 router is routing.
    I have few servers connected to a 6500 server. (A, B, C). All the server are in a private subnet of their own (192.168.1.0). Server A has a public IP address on the corporate network (10.10.10.32). So it is a multinetting situation. THere is a route in the router
    Ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.32.
    Basically to reach any hosts in the private subnet to go through the VIP. When I do a tracerooute to 192.168.1.1 (machine A) which is the router for my private subet and also holds the VIP, the traceroute goest to the VIP and then to 192.168.1.1. However, when I ping 192.168.1.2, the tracert goese directly to the server 192.168.1.2 without going through the VIP? The 6500 delivers the packet directly to 192.168.1.2 instead of going through the VIP. Can some one explain me why this is happening?
    Thanks.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 6, 2004, 10:02 PM
    Re: Multinetting issue
    I'm a little confused, by what I've read it loks like your saying that you have to router and server A connected to the corperate network (aka VIP). Also, where are you doing the traceroute from and to which server, or to the router?

If you have the cable from the corperate network plugged into the WAN port of th router, it shuold be getting an IP address from the VIP. If server A is also connected to the corperate network and you traceroute the router, the packet is going to go through the corperate network to get to the router. If you have server A connected to the router, then it shuold just pass into the router without going through the corperate network.

On the other hand, if the router is the only thing connected to the corperate network and all three servers are connected to it, you shuold be able to traceroute to all 3 of the servers and the router without going through the corperate network, assuming you are doing the tracerouter from one of the other servers. If you are doing the traceroute from another computer on the corperate network, it has to go through the corperate network's routers which will then send the packets to your router, and finally on to your servers.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, please help me understand a little more what you wish to know and how your router and servers are set up.

Apr 7, 2004, 06:30 PM
    ------------
    | 6500 |
    ------------
    ------------------------|---------------------
    | 10.10.10.32 | |
    ---------- ---------- ------------
    | .10 | | .11 | | .12 |
    ---------- ---------- ------------

Sorry, I was not clear the first time. Here is the diagram. Server A(192.168.1.10), B(192.168.1.11) and C (192.168.1.12). Server B and C have their default gateway set to 192.168.1.10 (i.e. server A). Server A's NIC is having two IP's on it, one is 192.168.1.10 and the other the VIp 10.10.10.32 on the corporate net. These are Linux boxes running SuSe. So the traffic to .11 and .12 has to go through .10. WHen I do a traceroutr from a client on the corporate network, I see that 6500 routes the packets directly to .11 instead of seding the packets to .10.10.10.32 and then 10.10.10.32 sending the packets to .11? Note that 6500 has a static route
    Ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.32.

Apr 7, 2004, 06:41 PM
    The diagram I posted got distorted. Basically, the three servers are connected to a blade in the 6500 switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoe Issue [ 3 Answers ]

I just got new carpet and it is dark so everything shows up on it. I also have a 1 year old and I am annoying clean. I had a sign on my door that said Welcome, please remove shoes upon entering thank you. Everyone who comes to my house takes there shoes off and my mother in law did too, however one...

Paternity Issue [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I found out I was pregnant on February 16th and I am wondering who the father of my baby is. My last period was January 17th. I had sex with the man I hope is the father on both the night of January 24th and the morning of January 25th both unprotected. I also happened to have sex with another...

Online issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I recently ordered cable and internet services from Charter Communications and used online chat service in the process. It was a "Winter Bundle" and I was supposed to get the complete package installed free of charge. I am pasting a part of the transcript that was later sent to my...

Need help with possible fraud issue [ 2 Answers ]

Sort of a complicated matter, but here it goes. My fiancé and I are trying to buy a house. She has some of the typical stuff hanging out on her credit report that you expect after a divorce, and most of that is getting cleared up. One disturbing item, though, has vexed us. There is an account...

Is this a issue ? [ 7 Answers ]

PC : XP Pro Service pack 2 --------------------------- Start/Run <typed>MSCONFIG Looked in: Win.Ini Programs It shows: ;msconfig Luke.exe=C:\storage\calarkconnect iso\clarkconnect-2.1iso

View more questions Search