Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattmurray34 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
    What is wrong with my dog?
    She has just started acted like she is in pain today. Every time I try and pet her on her head, she squints her eyes as if she has a migraine and her head hurts. She won't eat and she is just laying around. I can't figure what is wrong with her.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 6, 2007, 06:07 PM
    What kind of dog is it? Certain breeds are prone to back injuries,and this can be very painful.Dachunds,poodles,and other smaller breeds can hurt themselves but jumping off high beds and furniture.There are lots of possibilities such as abcessed teeth,ear infection,and so on.Check her teeth and ears for redness,you should be able to tell if these areas are tender to her if she doesn't like you examining these spots. More than likely she will need to see the vet.

Jul 6, 2007, 06:14 PM
    She is a lab mix and is 4 years old. I checked her ears and they are not red. She doesn't mind my checking them. She is rather listless. She doesn't want to play or eat. She normally eats bit of table scraps that my 2 year old accidentally spills, but today she didn't even move toward what was dropped. My wife went to pet her earlier and she flinched and yelped. No one ever hits her, especially not on her head so it's not a matter of being hit. She is not truly avoiding us but definitely not herself. It was all we could do to get her outside earlier for bathroom and she could not wait to get back inside. Her eyes are glazed, not cloudy. Checked her teeth and they seem fine. Seems her pain is more above her eyes, on the top of her head.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 09:24 PM
    I hope your vet has Saturday hours. Most Labs that quit eating are sick and need to see a vet. You can check the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 but it is clear you have a dog that needs medical attention.

Jul 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
    We took Harley to the vet yesterday. She was diagnosed with having pancreatitis. The doc said she may have consumed something that upset her but we really do not know what. He gave her a shot and meds. About two hours later she started seizing and we had to take her back. She was allergic to the penicillin he had administered. She is doing pretty well today and finally able to eat bland foods. Not quite back to her old self just yet, but I am sure it will just take some time. Thanks to those who responded.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Matt, I am sorry to hear that your dog is so ill. I am glad you took labman's advice and took her in to see the vet asap. I am assuming that your vet gave you a strict diet to follow since you state she is eating bland foods. Your dog needs to minimize the digestive process. With pancreatitis, the wrong food can cause the pancreas to go into overdrive and cause an immediate flare up and pain. So, please be very alert to your 2 year old dropping food or any food that winds up in a place that your dog can grab it. Do not let Harley eat anything other than what the vet advises. This is very important to her recovery. No rawhides or treats of any kind. If you remember to, please let us know how she is doing over the next few weeks.

Jul 11, 2007, 05:38 AM
    We have been following the diet still although the doctor said it was only necessary for two days. However, Harley is getting worse. She had another seizure late yesterday afternoon. It lasted about 4 minutes and she was disoriented for an hour or more afterward. It is obvious to me that something more is wrong than just a reaction to penicillin or pancreatitis. I'm returning the vet today, but we cannot afford any expensive procedures. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Matt, this is very disheartening news. You are doing the right thing by going back to the vet. I don't know what to tell you about the expensive procedures. Ask the vet what he/she believes is the root cause of this and what they would do if Harley was their dog. Until you have the full story, it is hard for anyone here to advise you. Please let us know what the vet says.

Jul 11, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Tell your vet you are on a limited budget,perhaps he can advice you of your choices.Pancreatitis is tough on a pet,and sometimes is hard to cure,that why vets tell owners not to feed table scraps.You need her blodwork ran again to see if there is improvement.Let us know how your visit goes.

Jul 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
    We had to put Harley down yesterday morning. She had a really bad seizure early that morning and never fully recovered from it. We could not bear to put her through anymore tests or pain. Thank you to all who were concerned.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Matt, I am truly sorry for your loss. Please find comfort in knowing that you did the most humane thing for her. With the fact that she appeared to be in pain, and was continuing to have seizures, please don't second guess your decision or ever question yourself. You did do the right thing. That poor girl. My heart goes out to you.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Matt I am sorry for your loss.

Jul 13, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmurray34
    We had to put Harley down yesterday morning. She had a really bad seizure early that morning and never fully recovered from it. We could not bear to put her through anymore tests or pain. Thank you to all who were concerned.
    I am sorry for your loss.Only time will heal your pain.:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong with my dog? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female black lab. She is the most faithful eater I know but she has eaten since Tuesday... 6/21/05. All she wants to do is lay around and sleep. Granted it's been hot and I am sure the heat wears on her BUT she always eats. She TELLS me when it's breakfast and dinner time....

Is Something Wrong With My Dog? [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is really hyperactive she likes to play a lot and eat and she absolutely loves people no matter who they are! My dog will run up to you every time you go outside in the afternoon but during the day if you stay at home she will sleep and sleep and sleep but not when it is warm. Since it is...

What is wrong with my dog? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday my Rottie/German Shepard Dog (2 yrs old) started placing her tail tight against her bottom and never lifting it at all. If you try touching her tail she attacks your hand. She also has problems sitting down. She is contently licking the bottom part of her tail. It takes her several...

My dog looks sick but I don't know what's wrong with it [ 1 Answers ]

OK my dog looks seriosly sick. She is still enegetic but all around her eyes is red like a vained poped but it has been likea month and I thought it might be a viral infection what do you thinks going on with her she is a black lab so if it is a gentic thing OK. Please answer .thnx

Something is wrong with my dog [ 3 Answers ]

So recently, like in the past week, my dog has started acting weird. Most of the time she will her normal, lazy self. Lately, seems like at night, she begins to paint very heavily, her eyes begin to water, she tucks her tails down, and she walks around like she has no idea what to do. Her heart...

View more questions Search