Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulbg2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 10:31 AM
    House Temperature Not Cooling
    Here's the problem...

A/C has been serviced and is said to be in full working conditon... Furnace has been serviced and is said to be in full working condition... A/C worked fine last Summer.

Temp inside house was 79F this morning... turned on A/C... after running for a while Temperature in Vent closest to Furnace was 60F... Temp at Cold Air Return was 74F

Air is circulating through house constantly on a DC Blower... House just simply will not cool. Thermostat is a Programmable Digital about 5 Years old... wondering if this could be the problem. Windows and Doors are all 3 Years old and are Energy Saver style...

All Dampers on Upper levels have been opened, basement ones have been closed off...

A/C has been on for 3 hours now and temperature in house hasn't budged at all according to the thermostat...

Any Suggestions?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 6, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Your outside unit might not be working up to capacity. You said the A/C had been serviced. How come the A/C person did not fix this problem? How could they say it was in full working condition when it is not?

According to your post you have a 14 degree TD and that is a little low. Usually a 18 to 20 degree TD is more normal. I would suspect a dirty coil outside,a dirty coil inside, or the superheat or subcooling is not calculated correctly from the service that was performed.

You might contact the company that provided you with this service you talked about and have them recheck there work. They were the last company to work on your unit and it is not working correctly. I guess you paid them for there work so I would make sure they took care of a problem they should have found when they were there.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Sounds like it may be low on refrigerant charge with a 14 degree TD, should be about 20 degrees TD. Mike
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 02:34 AM
    I hear a echo here. LOL
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 03:45 PM
    If you had a dirty evap. Coil you would be seeing a greater differential of temperature(more then 20 degrees) across the coil due to the coil being restricted by the dirt and slowing down the airflow and increasing temp. differential , dirty condenser will increase suction pressure in a coil that does not have an expansion valve, you did not say how long it has been since you had it checked and if it was hot outside when it was checked,some service people don't pay close attention to the a/c during the winter, if it was resent they should recheck the system at their expense .Most reputable contractors will stand behind their work. Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC unit running but not cooling house [ 9 Answers ]

We moved into our house last summer and it had be renovated with a new Goodman CKL24-1L system, (~3 months old at the time of move in). Our home is small, maybe about 1000 sq ft. However, we had some trouble with it last summer, it would often have trouble keeping the temperature low. We would...

Final Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

If I have 4.5 liters of water at 22 degrees Celsius and I mix that with 6.5 liters of water at 67 degrees Celsius, what will the final temperature of the water be and what formula would I have to use to find it?:confused:

Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the same air temperature feel differently in different parts of the country ? i.e. - Breckenridge, Colorado @ 40 degrees, feels much different than Houston, Texas @ 40 degrees no matter the time of the year.

AC not cooling house [ 4 Answers ]

My central AC unit has stopped keeping the house cool. I checked the filter and it is clean. The outside part of the system is also functioning. I did notice that there was some water building up on the floor around the bottom of the system. Also, the insulated copper tube appears to be...

Ground temperature [ 3 Answers ]

At what depth does the temperature remain relatively stable?

View more questions Search