Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woh337 Posts: 149, Reputation: 6

Jul 6, 2007, 05:32 AM
    SWANS-Strong Women Achievers, No Spouse
    Statistics shows that smart, successful women marry at the same rates as other women, assuring millions of American SWANS (Strong Women Achievers, No Spouse) that they have no reason to doubt themselves.
    For a generation of SWANS -- Strong Women Achievers, No Spouse -- these myths have become conventional wisdom. If you attended a good school, have an impressive job, have career aspirations or dream of future success, men will find you less attractive. "I've been told by well-meaning relatives: 'Don't talk about work on a date, dumb it down, and it's bad to earn so much money because guys will be scared of you.' And I got the word 'intimidating' a lot," said Alexis, a 35-year-old lawyer in San Francisco.

Is that really a problem for guys to date overachieving women?

Thanks!:rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 05:38 AM
    I married a lawyer. I've never dated dumb girls - can't stand them.
    I think the acronym is silly. Many women decide never to marry or have children though I'm not how many go it by choice.
    woh337 Posts: 149, Reputation: 6

Jul 6, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I think the acronym is silly. Many women decide never to marry or have children though I'm not how many go it by choice.
    Good for you!
    SOme successful and good looking women are actually disappointed on how men get scared off them.
    Thank you for your response, I am glad that u only date smart ladies, u must be a really smart man, I think!;)
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Tear it up! Simple answer-Yes, as far as I have seen, it is a problem for guys to date overachieving women. I am still hope some really mature men have got over with it!
    Good like to SWANS!:) ( I think I am one of them)
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 07:47 PM
    What are you then? :rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 08:13 PM
    A strong, self-assured guy. And a great daddy. :)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
    If you are on a date with a guy who is intimidated by your success, you probably don't want to go on a second date. There's no reason to dumb yourself down to get a boyfriend. There are men out there who respect and prefer intelligent, strong women. I should know, I married one! :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
    A strong, self-assured guy. And a great daddy. :)
    That's who strong females marry, or should.
    Inspired Posts: 178, Reputation: 22

Jul 15, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Men (even successful ones) want a woman who will be there when they get home. I don't mean to say that men want uneducated women that are going to stay at home and cook and clean. Men just don't want to be with women that are busier than they are.. I am attractive, have a masters degree and am very successful in my career, travel a lot for work, and still run into educated men that want someone who is "less busy". I don't believe that smart men are intimidated by smart, successful, beautiful women. I however do see some of these women that hold their nose up so high in the air that men are not so much "indimidated" by them but just turned off by them.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired
    Men (even successful ones) want a woman who will be there when they get home. I dont mean to say that men want uneducated women that are going to stay at home and cook and clean. Men just dont want to be with women that are busier than they are.. I am attractive, have a masters degree and am very successful in my career, travel alot for work, and still run into educated men that want someone who is "less busy". I dont believe that smart men are intimidated by smart, successful, beautiful women. I however do see some of these women that hold their nose up so high in the air that men are not so much "indimidated" by them but just turned off by them.
    I agree,but in real life even successful men prefer secetary type ladies, ones that are smart but NOT TOO SMART. It's not fair for good women who work hard on their way up. I understand women like us who are well educated and have to travel a lot for work, there are just tons for work for us. I am sure you have to work a bit after you get back to hotel every now and then. We are just so busy that there is almost no chance to meet men. Inspired,it's a good point not to hold nose to high in the air!
    Woh 337, I am glad to bring this topic up!:)
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. I don't think it would nessarily matter to me what a partner does just somebody I can talk to intelligently and has something actually going for them.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser
    Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. I don't think it would nessarily matter to me what a partner does just somebody I can talk to intelligently and has something actually going for them.
    NOt many men think like you are. It's mature to think like you do!
    Many men can't get over with women being bread winners and overachieving, witty,powerful nowadays.sigh...
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Many men can't get over with women being bread winners
    Heh, my hubby WISHES I was the bread winner! He'd kill for me to be his "sugar mama" instead of the other way around!
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Heh, my hubby WISHES I was the bread winner! He'd kill for me to be his "sugar mama" instead of the other way around!
    That actually bothers me too-if my future man wants me to be bread winner, I hope both of us work hard, be independent!
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Read this book
    Amazon.com: Why Smart Men Marry Smart Women: Books: Christine Whelan
    huno Posts: 336, Reputation: 75

Jul 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
    Inspired makes a great point. When I marry, I want ONE of us to stay home and raise the kids... I don't want the kids brought up by a nanny or a relative or whomever. I don't care which of us stays home, but given my career I'm pretty sure I'm the one who's going to be working.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    That actually bothers me too-if my future man wants me to be bread winner, I hope both of us work hard, be independent!
    He's just joking. Right now he works his butt off so I can stay home and be a full time student. The point in that is so hopefully someday my earning potential will allow HIM to quit working for three years, as I have done. Or at the very least, so my earning potential can allow us to save for a nice, cushy, early retirement.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    He's just joking. Right now he works his butt off so I can stay home and be a full time student. The point in that is so hopefully someday my earning potential will allow HIM to quit working for three years, as I have done. Or at the very least, so my earning potential can allow us to save for a nice, cushy, early retirement.
    Yup, way to go!:)
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by huno
    Inspired makes a great point. When I marry, I want ONE of us to stay home and raise the kids... I don't want the kids brought up by a nanny or a relative or whomever. I don't care which of us stays home, but given my career I'm pretty sure I'm the one who's gonna be working.
    Good for you, I hope you find the perfect one.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Or at the very least, so my earning potential can allow us to save for a nice, cushy, early retirement.
    I retired early because I had a hard working smart female who wanted me to kick my feet up, and enjoy myself, and yes I do. I'm also a cheap baby sitter and great cook, that helps.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Psychological conflict: strong fear & strong love toward the same girl [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been experiencing some kind of psychological conflict for more than 1 year. Whenever he increases his love to me, his fear of losing me to another man increases. Last year, his psychological conflict made him misunderstand me a lot. For example, when he saw a tiny sign related...

Why do straight women fool around with straight women: An open discussion. [ 55 Answers ]

Ever wondered why straight women fool around with other straight (or gay) women? Ever tried it? Ever regretted it? Thoughts?

Do you think I would come off too strong? [ 7 Answers ]

I like this guy who liked me up until a friend of mine said something to him and made me look obsessive. I didn't want her to say anything to him. He claims not to like me anymore, but flirts with me A LOT. When I see him again, Im debating as to weather or not I should just be spontaneous,...

View more questions Search