Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSmaidn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2005, 11:39 AM
    Washer drain overflowing
    The drain that my washing machine overflows during the rinse cycles. We have replaced the pipe and snaked the main pipe (metal pipe where pipes drain to). I have a Sear washer (older 12 yrs model) and it says it requires a 34" in standpipe with diagram showing 34" from floor to top of pipe. We used a 2" dia pipe and it is 34" long and goes into a P trap and then a horizontal pipe over to the metal pipe into the ground. The metal pipe into the ground also has the vent to the roof joined to it. We have snaked that too. My installation instructions says it must have the 2" dia pipe, 34" min 72" max standpipe and the drain must be able to carry away 17 gallons per minute. Since I've met all the other requirements and it still comes back, how can I test the 17 gal/min and should I try to use a 3 or 4" dia pipe for the standpip and horizontal pipe to the metal drain into the floor.
    You are saints for helping everyone here. I read lots of other posts about washer drain problems but didn't seem to find the same issue though in the end it might be! :D thanks for any help/suggestions/advice. :eek:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2005, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MSmaidn
    The drain that my washing machine overflows during the rinse cycles. We have replaced the pipe and snaked the main pipe (metal pipe where pipes drain to). I have a Sear washer (older 12 yrs model) and it says it requires a 34" in standpipe with diagram showing 34" from floor to top of pipe. We used a 2" dia pipe and it is 34" long and goes into a P trap and then a horizontal pipe over to the metal pipe into the ground. The metal pipe into the ground also has the vent to the roof joined to it. We have snaked that too. My installation instructions says it must have the 2" dia pipe, 34" min 72" max standpipe and the drain must be able to carry away 17 gallons per minute. Since I've met all the other requirements and it still comes back, how can I test the 17 gal/min and should I try to use a 3 or 4" dia pipe for the standpip and horizontal pipe to the metal drain into the floor.
    You are saints for helping everyone here. I read lots of other posts about washer drain problems but didn't seem to find the same issue though in the end it might be! :D thanks for any help/suggestions/advice. :eek:
    You have met the specs for the size of standpipe and its height. What I question is how much cable,( snake) did you run out after you hit the bend at the base of the vent. You should have ran out at least 20 foot more. From the bend of the trap to the top of the standpipe how much distance do you have? We don't measure a standpipe from the floor. Say your trap is 18" off the floor. At 34" from floor to top that would give you a 16" standpipe. We install our washer traps as close to the floor as possible and come off that with a 36" standpipe. You say you have looked through the other threads? Let me copy a portion of a reply to the Maytag Washer having suds backing up thread. " you might do what I did when the suds from my washer started to bubble out the top of my standpipe. Install a compression fitting on the standpipe and connect the washer hose to it. To see what a slip to compression fitting looks like click on http://www.plumbingwarehouse.com/pvccomp.html and go to the bottom of the page. You will have to get the compression end the same size as your washer hose and adapt the slip side to the same size as the stand pipe. In the meantime why not wrap some wet rags around the hose and use t6hem as a "caulk" to contain the suds as you wash. If you haven't run out enough snake you haven't caught the clog. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my washer machine overflowing? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 yr old washing machine that does not shut off once it is filled up? It sometimes does turn off but recently I have even put it on a small load and the water still runs when it goes into the next cycle? Is it some type of sensor that needs to be fixed? Is it an east task and should I try...

Why is my washer machine overflowing? [ 2 Answers ]

What make and model? Yes, there is a sensor. But we need more info

Dishwasher won't drain and washer is backing up and overflowing [ 3 Answers ]

I have problem that has completely stumped my dad and I. My washer is backing up every time it goes to drain out for both the wash and rinse cycles. Also, my dishwasher is not draining out at all either. The washer has been doing this for a while, but the dishwasher just recently started doing...

Water Overflowing over Washer Standpipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2" PVC standpipe that is 33" tall. It feeds into a 2" P trap (cast-iron) connected to a 2" T. The top of the T is the vent pipe, and the bottom is connected to the sewer line. Using a garden hose, I can open it at max, with no overflow. I ran a snake into the cast-iron P trap (and as far...

View more questions Search