Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afwhitehouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 12:14 PM
    2nd floor or to add on, that is the dilemma?
    I've got a little bitty 40x24 lake house that I want to add more living space to.

What considerations would I need to look at if I was going to build up? Completely add a 2nd floor the same size.

Is it general cheaper to build up or build out? :rolleyes:

Thanks for any input.

Traumatized in TEXAS:confused:
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jul 5, 2007, 02:53 PM
    My first suggestion would be to contact the local building department folks. An architect or engineer can determine if the existing structure can bear an additional floor and what modifications need to made to handle the load.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jul 5, 2007, 08:24 PM
    My Experience Will Tell Me That Adding On A Single Story Will Be Cheaper, As Kstar Said , Most Likely You Ceiling Joist Will Not Be Tall Enough To Support A Load, Which Means Your Roof Comes Off Your Ceiling Will Have To Be Beefed Up And Most Likely Beams Will Have To Be Set, Unless Your Cramped For Space Id Expand Ground Level. The Labor Cost Will Be Much Lower If You Do This, At Least If I Was Doing The Work It Would Be.
    Going Up Is Just More Labor Intensive, The Main Problem Is Getting The Joist To Support The New Load, It Is Very Time Consuming, Good Luck And Getting An Engineer Isn't A Bad Idea, You'll End Up Talking To Someone At Some Point To Figure Out What You'll Need Anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

2nd floor bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Wanted to add a 2nd floor bathroom. I have a 4" DWV from roof to first floor bath. The whole house is on a slab. Needed to know if I can tie into the 4" pipe for the toilet,sink and shower on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor toilet is right above the first floor toilet. I here stories that when I...

View more questions Search