Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Henkel38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Painting Estimates
    I am starting my own Interior Painting Business. I'm not sure exactly how to go about giving an estimate. How do I know what to charge? Is it by the hour? If so, How much?
    chiquita_bandita Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

Jul 5, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Find out what your competitors are charging for the same service by having them come and do an estimate for you (I wouldn't tell them what you're up to, though). Review the written up estimates you get and see what they are charging for materials and time/labor, as well as making sure to find out how long they think the job will take. That way you can figure out a basic hourly rate and see how much you should charge for the materials. You will also be well informed as to your competitors rates so you will know how much is too much to charge.

Carefully read the estimate to see exactly what services are included or excluded... things like surface preparation, any cleaning, etc. You wouldn't want to do an estimate without figuring in extra things such as patching holes and the like, so watch carefully and see what the estimate providers look at when they are figuring things up. You wouldn't want to agree to paint a room only to find defects in the wall that you failed to notice, and end up having to do the extra work for free!

And ALWAYS take before and after pictures, get things in writing (even if you trust the person), and as a rule add 20% (at least) more materials to allow for the unforseen.

Just FYI, my experience in this area comes from welding jobs I used to do. I'm by no means an expert, but just sharing some things I had experience in. It's been a while... so perhaps another poster could offer more information.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
    I know that my answer below is more that what you have originally asked for. But, since you are just starting, I thought that the sharing of additional information would be beneficial to you.

One of the things that I do for a living is that I am a painting contractor. I am self-employed. Most painters that I know of charge by the square foot. If the paint is to be applied by a roller, around where I live, the price would be approximately .70 cents a square foot for two coats on a perfectly flat, non-porous surface with little or no imperfections that need to be repaired or patched. For textured and brick walls, I would make it .90 cents a square foot. If the surface has never been painted previously, or has any type of sheen to it, then it will need to be primed. I would charge .45 cents per square foot to apply one coat of a primer with a roller. I just include making small repairs and patching in the prices that I have already mentioned. If you do have to make extensive repairs to a surface, then I would make an estimate as far as how long I think that it would take me to do the patching or repairs for an estimate. For around where I live, I figure about $20.00 per hour.

You could call other painters in your area and just ask them what they charge per square foot for various types of surfaces.

I do like the above poster's recommendation about taking before and after pictures. Not only is this important for your protection, but a lot of people will be asking you if you have any pictures of work that you have already done.

As the poster above already mentioned about getting everything in writing, I agree that this is very important. You need to have a contract for a job that spells out, but is not limited to the following, as there are many sub-items in the contract that would be described under the categories below.

1. What the contract documents are. I.e. the contract itself and the painting estimate.
    2. Description of work to be performed as described in the contract or in an attached work schedule.
    3. Timing - when the work will start and when it will be completed.
    4. Terms of payment.
    5. Changes in work to be performed as mutually agreed upon by both the contractor and the customer.
    6. Warranty for the completed job to be free from defects for a specified period given certain conditions are met.
    7. Signs placed on the customer's property. Basically permission by the customer for the contractor to do that.
    8. The customer's legal responsibilities.
    9. Signatures and dates.

Other things to consider would be advertising, insurance, safety, the need for licensing, if any at all is required, bonding, etc.

You might like to check out answers that have been posted on the following links.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...tml#post471334

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...nse-76762.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...ice-99405.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...-il-93262.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...ed-104538.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...nse-86170.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-b...ded-93189.html

I wish you well in your painting business!
    Greenfire Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Henkel38
    I am starting my own Interior Painting Business. I'm not sure exactly how to go about giving an estimate. How do I know what to charge? Is it by the hour? If so, How much?
    I started charging 75.00 a room without ceilings or trim. Buy the paint in 5 gallon buckets. Use all your leftovers on other jobs but still charge for another 5 gallon bucket or however many you think will be needed according to how many rooms. Going rate for painters is 29.00 if you roll and 31.00 an hour if you spray. I charge 25.00 hour but I roll. It keeps me in the ball game.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 10:38 PM
    I think that it best and shows a lot of integrity for customers if you qualify everything to them as far as why they are paying the amounts they are paying. This can be done by careful measuring of a room and providing a price based upon the square foot. Also, you can give them an idea as to how much paint will be used the same way - providing a price based upon the square foot.

To say that to paint a room for $75.00 doesn't really qualify anything for a customer. Would it be logical to charge the same amount for 50 square feet of surface to be painted and 250 square feet.

There shouldn't be much, if any leftovers of paint for a job if you have measured accurately and figured accordingly, based upon the coverage that a paint manufacturer states as to how much a gallon of paint will cover. I give any little leftovers to my customers so that they can do any touch-ups that might be needed later.

How much painters charge is dependent upon where the customer lives.
    Premier666 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 01:48 PM
    I am a Painting Contractor for 20 years. These type of responses make me crazy. One answer was call other contractors and ask them for a bid... that is a waste of Their time. Charge $20 to $35 an hour... NO! Charge what you need to charge. Figure out what type of payroll, insurance, workers comp ins. And all other cost you need to make money. Why would anyone start a business with out the knowledge of how to run or what to charge. Work for someone else first and then go into business for yourself.
    Wingate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 11:21 AM

Why would anyone start a business with out the knowledge of how to run or what to charge. Work for someone else first and then go into business for yourself.
    Hey Henkal, don't let clowns like this one get you down
    (He can't even spell knowledge correctly, why would anyone take his advice?)

Getting everything in writing, I agree that this is very important

Your doing the right thing by asking questions and finding answers.

I am also starting a Painting company, and have been soaking up information like a sponge so that I may be profitable, and reputable in the future.

Most painters that I know of charge by the square foot.
    getting everything in writing, I agree that this is very important
    Out of all my research into this subject, and personal experiences, the above two statements are very helpful.

Other than being honest with the homeowner and willing to work with them to get the finish that they are looking for, all that's left is trial and error. But if your like me, that won't be good enough and you will continue your search for answers..

Good luck with your business
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Thread is old and sufficiently answered.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

In home estimates for Cleaning Business [ 3 Answers ]

I have started a cleaning business and I am not sure how to go about doing in home estimates. Could someone possible give me advice on how to do in home estimates. Thanks

Do you know this painting? [ 4 Answers ]

When I was in Dublin last summer I saw a man drawing on the pavement. I'd never seen anyone do it, and I thought it was so cool. He was copying from a painting. It was a young lady on a boat. She had a little parasol with her, if I'm not mistaken, and I also think she was wearing a hat. There was a...

Residential Cleaning Estimates [ 2 Answers ]

How do I, without calling around to get estimates, figure out how much I charge customers to clean their home? Shelley

Painting [ 3 Answers ]

Can I apint on treated wood?

View more questions Search