Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theprodigy06 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Dimmer switch makes other lights not work.
    I just installed a dimmer switch and because of it, now my closet, hallway and bathroom lights won't work. The dimmer switch does work. If I revert it back to my old switch everything lights up again. Anybodyhave any suggestions?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Need to do some trouble shooting with a voltmeter to determine the purpose of each wire at the dimmer.. Sounds like the neutral is being switched.

Jul 5, 2007, 11:51 AM
    The configuration to the old switch has 2 wires. One is black and one is a red loop with no end. The red one seems like it just had a bit stripped from the bottom. I can't find the ground neither. Is this a common configuration? Btw, this is in a small apartment building.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Are there more wires inside the box? How is the "red loop" arranged" Is this cable or conduit?

Jul 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
    It's a cable but it looks like this. The black cable has an end and that's screwed on to the top contact. The red cable loops around the bottom contact with the part touching the metal contact stripped. If you look into the wall, one end of the cable goes up and the other goes down. I thought one was a grounding wire and cut it and attached it to the ground. It worked, only the other lights don't.
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Can you take a picture of this box? It would really hep understand what you have.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Ground is green or bare. The red with the loop is probably switch leg to light. Black is hot.
    Turn off power, Physically verify connection integrity.
    Could have problem with whites.

Jul 6, 2007, 10:45 PM

The Red Wire is where I cut to attempt to pair the one that goes down with the ground. Sorry about the color error, its blue I didn't have the switch in front me of when I said it was black.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 02:31 AM
    OK great, I am starting to see. However, I asked a couple of question I still don't know the answers.

Any other wires inside the box?

Did you use a volt meter to test which wire is hot, which wire is switched, are these wires hot or neutral?

Can you take a pic of the inside of the box? I am guessing you have conduit, a pic inside the box will tell a 1000 words.

At face value, simply changing this switch out to a dimmer and wire it the same way should not cause the problem your having with the other lights. Really need to get the detail I am asking.

Thanks for being patient.

Oh BTW, not nitpicking, but that is why we are here, to teach ,I realize the switch is connected temporarily, but the blue wire is terminated incorrectly, the wire should wrap around the screw clockwise, so the hook closes as the screw is tightened, you show a perfect example of a poor connection. The red connection, not so hot either.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:09 AM
    From picture, the red is probably hot, when you said "loop", that sounded like switchedleg,
    Sometimes identified with a loop.
    From picture, Looks like the red is hot, and needs to be twisted together, and connect to dimmer,
    The blue looks like switchleg now, goes to other dimmer wire. Whatever you put to ground undo, What color wire did you put to ground?
    Don't have to remove light , but probably has blue and white wire.
    That red feeds power to that switch and continues to hall and bath.

Jul 7, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Then is there a ground wire?
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 11:34 AM
    All you needed to do was, twist the 2 reds(hot in and continuing on to bath and hall). Goes to dimmer also.
    Blue also goes to dimmers other wire, blue probably goes to light.
    The only ground may be on dimmer, it is green, and connects to green or bare, or could be metal conduit acting as a ground, the box, if metal, will also be at ground potential. What color wire are you putting to ground?
    blebouef Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Thanks, but still confussed, when I take new lights off the old ones work correctly.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2013, 07:22 AM
    Something is likely loose in that box.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2013, 01:24 PM
    Blebouef,

You have tack your confusion onto a 5 year old post by someone else. Perhaps you should start your own thread and describe you own problem. Probably get better assistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimmer switch [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to change a regular light switch (2 wires red and black) with a dimmer switch with 3 wires ( 2 black and a green) where do you connect these 3 wires? THX.

Dimmer switch is rinning [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two dimmer switches on two different lights and both are single pole. Now I have a high frequency ring tone when the switch is set on a low setting. The switches can be used for single or three way. Any suggestions other turn up the stereo? hoff179

Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Lights with dimmer switches buzz [ 2 Answers ]

The lights in our house that are controlled with dimmer switches all seem to have a faint buzzing sound when turned on. Does anyone know why this is?

View more questions Search