Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marzapan741 Posts: 478, Reputation: 14

Jul 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
    I broke a Mirror
    I broke a mirror by knocking it down when I opened a cabinet.

Am I officially screwed for 7 years? LOL

Jul 4, 2007, 02:45 PM
    :(
    lost_in_my_thoughts Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 10:34 AM
    K the only reason that started was because when people first settled in america and they broke there mirror it took a very long time sometimes years to get5 it so it meant you had bad luck because you had to out in public w/o knowing what you look like
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 10:39 AM
    I never knew that, here's what wikipedia has listed

"Breaking a mirror will give you seven years of bad luck. (Mirrors were once luxury items. If one were broken, it could cost a servant seven years' worth of wages to pay for the damage. It is also refered that bringing a new mirror from India in Marco Polo's times would take seven years)"

Aug 22, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Aha that's really intresting. Well I'm still alive so I guess its fake :P
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xAjikanx
    aha thats really intresting. Well im still alive so I guess its fake :P
    I am sure that it's fake. I have broken lots of mirrors. Most of the bad things that have happened to me have been because of the not very good choices that I have made. It is that way for most everyone.

Aug 22, 2007, 12:37 PM
    It got to me because at that time I was havign a crap day so it lead to the mirror I was like ZOMG lol
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 22, 2007, 07:51 PM
    I broke a mirror by knocking it down when i opened a cabinet.

Ah, a question that had been pondered through the ages... recent research at Duke U did turn up some interesting facts though... it's not just 7 yrs bad luck but a fairly simple equation of height and width to determine how square inches of mirror that were destroyed as, you probably already know, mirrors are considered the portals into other realities/universes as how else you could look into a mirror and see your reflection? It is really the psychic emanations of the entities living in the other realities observing you and allowing you to pick up their visual impressions of you. That's why some of us love to look in the mirror, just to feel a connection to someone or something that shares our reality and is nonjudgemental of our appearance and if anything, thinks we are too thin as it is. The tragedy of breaking a mirror is that you spoil the viewpoint of your viewers and that you open up many more interworld/inter-reality portals from the fragments of your once-whole mirror. Since the fragments are usually irregular in shape and size, there are more entities viewing you but are having to distort themselves and therefore their appreciation of you, which is why most people will simply sweep up a busted mirror and chucking it into a waste bin and going for a new full-sized mirror. It's like going from a dedicated phone line to an old time party line so a bit disconcerting.
    So it feels like bad luck to break a mirror and now, you can realize what the cause really is, not what you thought it was, don't you agree?
    Now you'll find yourself cleaning your mirror far more frequently and while looking at yourself, you'll notice more and more that you are complimenting yourself more and more, a good thing to do as you have to do your part to train those new observers what the standard of human beauty is - you do want to make a good impression, yes?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cpalmist
    Ah, a question that had been pondered through the ages...recent research at Duke U did turn up some interesting facts tho...it's not just 7 yrs bad luck but a fairly simple equation of height and width to determine how square inches of mirror that were destroyed as, you probably already know, mirrors are considered the portals into other realities/universes as how else you could look into a mirror and see your reflection? It is really the psychic emanations of the entities living in the other realities observing you and allowing you to pick up their visual impressions of you. That's why some of us love to look in the mirror, just to feel a connection to someone or something that shares our reality and is nonjudgemental of our appearance and if anything, thinks we are too thin as it is. The tragedy of breaking a mirror is that you spoil the viewpoint of your viewers and that you open up many more interworld/inter-reality portals from the fragments of your once-whole mirror. Since the fragments are usually irregular in shape and size, there are more entities viewing you but are having to distort themselves and therefore their appreciation of you, which is why most people will simply sweep up a busted mirror and chucking it into a waste bin and going for a new full-sized mirror. It's like going from a dedicated phone line to an old time party line so a bit disconcerting.
    So it feels like bad luck to break a mirror and now, you can realize what the cause really is, not what you thought it was, don't you agree?
    Now you'll find yourself cleaning your mirror far more frequently and while looking at yourself, you'll notice more and more that you are complimenting yourself more and more, a good thing to do as you have to do your part to train those new observers what the standard of human beauty is - you do want to make a good impression, yes?
    Hi, cpalmist!

You spent a lot of time composing an answer to the original posters question.

Is your answer some kind of joke? If not, then do you have any factual basis for what you believe about mirrors? Or, is it something based upon a faith that you have?
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 23, 2007, 05:42 AM
    It was fun to write as an entertainment, much like the original question - it filled some time and wasn't really looking for a serious answer.
    However, if it did fill a need in you then I would be happy to provide more information as we have all been watching you and wondering when you would ask... :-)

Sep 18, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Watching Who? Hahahah creeeeepie :p
    I love this superstition stuff.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Then I might as well forget it because I have broken about 5 full length mirrors in the past
    4 months alone. I guess I am done in for until I am 87 years old in that case!

Sep 29, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Hahaaa =)
    Silly me.
    AquaLiz Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Oct 2, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Never put much stock in those superstitions myself. I walk on cracks, I've broken mirrors, and I make it a point to open umbrella's inside every so often. ;)
    Still alive and kicking. LOL.

Oct 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Hahahaa.
    Nicely put.
    Oh I get a kick out of opening umbrellas indoors xd
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaLiz
    Never put much stock in those superstitions myself. I walk on cracks, I've broken mirrors, and I make it a point to open umbrella's inside every so often. ;)
    Still alive and kicking. LOL.
    Yeah... you do actually have to be alive to receive 'bad luck'
    tosca1919 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 10:59 PM
    I broke a mirror by knocking it down when i opened a cabinet.

It is up to you to decide if you are supersticious or not. If you believe you are going to have bad luck then you will and vice versa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mirror tiles [ 6 Answers ]

Recently I bought some mirror wall tiles and when I asked how to cut them the Home Depot employee said the only thing I could use was a little red tool with a tiny metal wheel on the end. I've about ruined all of the one package of tiles trying to cut a straight line. I must not be strong enough to...

Film on mirror [ 2 Answers ]

Any advice on the best way to clean mirrors. W are non smokers, however,it seems if there is a film on my mirrors. Also, any ideas on the best way to clean windows. My windows are old and have to be removed from the outside

Mirror practicals [ 1 Answers ]

In mirror experiments which way is useful 1. using 2 eyes 2. use single eye Please explain

Convex mirror ( help me ) [ 1 Answers ]

A candle is placed in 15.0 cm in front of a convex mirror. When the convex mirror is replaced by a plane mirror, the image moves back 7.00 cm (further away from the mirror). Fing the focal length of the convex mirror.

View more questions Search