Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GKJSG Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Aluminum House Siding
    I recently read somewhere that aluminum siding shouldn't be painted over. Our home is older and has aluminum siding, I noticed today that the siding HAS been painted over (obviously before we moved here) and the paint is beginning to peel in small areas. Can we scrape the loose paint flakes off and re-paint the entire house? If so, what kind of paint should we use.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 04:07 PM
    If you visit this website I think you will find out all you need to know

wikiHow - The How-To Manual That Anyone Can Write or Edit
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jul 28, 2009, 10:22 AM

Okay, I just read the article but I still have a few questions. I need this paint job to last about 5 years and not look like crap. I just finished painting some aluminum trim with Behr semigloss exterior white. I'm not sure I like the sheen or the brush strokes.

1. Should I use a brush or rent a sprayer? I'm trying to keep costs down, but again, I don't want it to look like crap.

2. Are there any advantages or disadvantages in going with a flat or satin sheen?

3. Should I use the same sheen for the walls and the trim?
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Aug 23, 2009, 05:12 PM

I just reread the link to the painting aluminum siding wiki. I am almost done power washing my siding and much original paint has been removed down to the bare aluminum.

Two of my neighbors have just painted their aluminum siding, one paid a professional and the other went at it diy. Both used a sprayer and NEITHER USED A PRIMER. The wiki said that without an oil based primer the ammonia with interact with the oxidized aluminum and create a gas that will cause the paint to bubble prematurely.

About how long will the paint hold up without the oil-based primer? Have any of you painted a house with old aluminum siding without using the primer? If so, were there any problems with the paint in the years to come? I plan on using Behr exterior satin enamel paint and applying it with a brush.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 05:17 PM

This original post is from July 2007 and the OP never came back on to check messages.

This should be a closed thread.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions about house with aluminum wiring [ 11 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home with what appears to be 80% aluminum wiring. The outlets and switches all worked fine, but were not rated for aluminum use. Prior to purchasing the home I spoke with my insurance agent and she indicated they would need a certificate of inspection from our local...

Screw holes in Aluminum siding [ 2 Answers ]

How do you sael screw holes in Aluminum siding? We recently bought a home which had a faded house number sign on the front. The screw holes from the previous sign don't line up with the new sign I have put in its place. The holes are also visible. Would a clear silicone be okay to use or is there a...

Aluminum or copper? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I recently acquired a hot tub. We would like to install every ourselves but are totally green on the subject. So, we have decided to at least purchase the materials and have an electrician just hook it up to the box. What type of wire should we buy. I know it is 6/3 but the hardware...

Aluminum Feeder Terminations [ 1 Answers ]

As a commercial electrician I was taught that terminations of Aluminum feeders had to be periodically checked for tightness due to 'creep' (the wire expanding and contracting due to changes in temperature). Is this a real problem? What is the recommended interval for checking the proper torque of...

Loose aluminum siding [ 1 Answers ]

My 50 yr old siding is in good condition, but there are places where the end of a piece has bulged or popped slightly. Also, the base of very bottom row tends to be loose from the house. This allows critters inside. How do I secure them? Tank you.

View more questions Search