Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CheBella Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Prob w/cable modem jack
    While DH was playing with keyboard and mouse (aka working diligently,) Cute Puppy was, unbeknownst to all, teething happily on the wires leading from our Cable Modem to the junction box. Our fist sign of this was when we cleverly noticed that we had no dial tone.
    Now we are faced with returning the junction box to its previous happy (wired) state. Of course, the insulation of the wires in the box are one set of colors, and that of the wire leading to it are a different set. How should we proceed? That is, anyone have a wiring diagram for a Motorola Cable modem used by the ubiquitous Cablevison Optimum Online?

EEK! Forgot to mention wire insulation colors in front of me Sorry!
    Junction block seems to be standard phone block with Yellow/Black/Green/Red.
    Wire from cable modem is SIX wires: Three white/Orange/Green/Dark Orange. There is no Black. It appears from the remaining bits that Puppy left on the block that two wires from modem line were connected to each block connection (except for Black.)

Can it be that one White accompanies each of the other colors on the modem line, and the Black line on the block remains unconnected?
    If so, which to what?
    (Well, at least I know if I cut the red wire instead of the black, the house won't blow up, right? Right? )

Donna:confused::
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Sounds like your phone wires? White/blue to green, and blue/white to red.
    More info can help.
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Red and Green is line 1
    Yellow and Black is line 2

The 3 pairs of wires you have is blue pair, orange pair, and green pair.(Line 1, 2, and line 3)
    The whites usually have trace of blue, orange and green, to go with its other wire.
    If they are solid white, then you may be able to tell which is twisted around each other.
    A blue, or Blue/with white goes to red.
    A white, or white/ with blue go to green.
    Opening another jack may help.
    If you have cordless phone, and using only one line. Go Off Hook(Get dial tone)Take to exposed wires, touch blue to each of the wires, one at a time and listen for disturbance.
    That is the pair that go to red and green.

Jul 5, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Thank you, Stratmando; I'm starting to get it. Too bad I can't finish.
    I understand about the block wiring & that each set represents a line, as in R + G = line 1, Y + Blk = line 2.
    What I don't get is when a cable modem line is wired to a regular telephone block, does that mean that line 1 goes for the 'phone and line 2 goes for the 'puter?

And Woe Is Us: upon more careful inspection, it appears that the line coming from the modem has not THREE pairs of wires, but FOUR pair
    >> The 3 pairs of wires you have is blue pair, orange pair, and green pair.(Line 1, 2, and line 3) <<

So, to make things all honest and everything, the modem line has:
    Green+White
    Brown +White
    Blue + White
    Orange + White
    BUT! The Blue+White was either cut off low near the outer insulation so as to be unused - OR - Increasingly Less Cute Puppy bit off both blue & white wires at that point in a convincingly close approximation of a technician doing so.

Your idea about using a cordless phone to find out the wiring sounds great, but nothing has a dial tone. Moreover, the telephone junction boxes are wired just the way the were before cable.

Donna
    still phoneless:confused:

Jul 5, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CheBella
    Thank you, Stratmando; I'm starting to get it. Too bad I can't finish.
    I understand about the block wiring & that each set represents a line, as in R + G = line 1, Y + Blk = line 2.
    What I don't get is when a cable modem line is wired to a regular telephone block, does that mean that line 1 goes for the 'phone and line 2 goes for the 'puter?

And Woe Is Us: upon more careful inspection, it appears that the line coming from the modem has not THREE pairs of wires, but FOUR pair
    >> The 3 pairs of wires you have is blue pair, orange pair, and green pair.(Line 1, 2, and line 3) <<

So, to make things all honest and everything, the modem line has:
    Green+White
    Brown +White
    Blue + White
    Orange + White
    BUT! the Blue+White was either cut off low near the outer insulation so as to be unused - OR - Increasingly Less Cute Puppy bit off both blue & white wires at that point in a convincingly close approximation of a technician doing so.

Your idea about using a cordless phone to find out the wiring sounds great, but nothing has a dial tone. Moreover, the telephone junction boxes are wired just the way the were b4 cable.

Donna
    still phoneless:confused:
    Still not connected; just wanted people to know. While the quiet of 3 days without the phone ringing is quite nice, at some point, I might like to make a call. Perhaps.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Those 8 conductors are the first 4 pair, of a 25 pair color code, with brown being the 4th pair. The 6 I showed, are the first 3 pair.
    Those 8 conductors are also used for network type cable. Sounds like that is the wire that goes from the cable modem to your Computer. Since Cable modem , not DSL, should work anyway. He may have chewed up a line cord to that phone or a phone line you din't know about.
    Many phone companies have a place where phone come in for test.
    Can you unplug remains from modem(clear plastic piece).
    Look at back of Modem and look for symbols.

Jul 5, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CheBella
    While DH was playing with keyboard and mouse (aka working diligently,) Cute Puppy was, unbeknownst to all, teething happily on the wires leading from our Cable Modem to the junction box. Our fist sign of this was when we cleverly noticed that we had no dial tone.
    Now we are faced with returning the junction box to its previous happy (wired) state. Of course, the insulation of the wires in the box are one set of colors, and that of the wire leading to it are a different set. How should we proceed? That is, anyone have a wiring diagram for a Motorola Cable modem used by the ubiquitous Cablevison Optimum Online?

EEK! Forgot to mention wire insulation colors in front of me Sorry!
    Junction block seems to be standard phone block with Yellow/Black/Green/Red.
    Wire from cable modem is SIX wires: Three white/Orange/Green/Dark Orange. There is no Black. It appears from the remaining bits that Puppy left on the block that two wires from modem line were connected to each block connection (except for Black.)

Can it be that one White accompanies each of the other colors on the modem line, and the Black line on the block remains unconnected?
    If so, which to what?
    (Well, at least I know if I cut the red wire instead of the black, the house won't blow up, right? Right??)

Donna:confused::
    Slowly but surely I am learning more about this situation. One thing I knew, but stupidly forgot, if not to listen to DH describe the problem, but check it out myself. Twenty-five years, and yet I still forget.
    OK: The wire in question is NOT emanating from the cable modem, but from OUTSIDE the house, one of the many places where friendly Cable Modem Installer Guy located unsightly wires climbing up the exterior walls of a historic house rather than snaking through inside. It looks like the place is in the clutches of a Very Large Spider. It is at least NOT the Giant Black Coax cable, but Charming Grey CAT 5-P.
    The phones themselves are fine, so bringing them in for checking wouldn't do much good.
    There is no clear anything on the modem, just a back like a full slot on a computer, with the female connections for the various wires.
    Does this help at all?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 07:20 PM
    First, do you have a dog? The wire outside the house is cut? Consider running new wire yourself and use leviton "Quickport" network inserts, or something you like that for connections, and fish in walls Cat 5e. Here, I don't think Cable and Phone company can fish wires in walls like other contractors, because of liability.
    Kidding about your dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
    The devoured cable, did it have a modular plug on each end? If so were they both the 6 or 8 wire ones? The 4 wire one and the 8 wire ones look much alike unless side by side. If both the cable modem (Or DSL?) and the junction box take the same 8 wire plug, all you need to do is buy a ethernet cable and plug it in. The wire colors make no difference as long as the same wire is in the same position at each end.

I was prepared when the cable man came. I had holes drilled in the foundation and walls and pull through wires already in place. He found things a little strange such as the coax box 42'' of the floor. Finally everything was hooked up and he went to put the installation CD in the computer. He was amazed to find it at the very top of my large computer desk. I have all my cables except the power cord for the surge protector well above the floor. I replaced the power cord for the surge protector with metal BX.

Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Call you house, busy? Line is shorted.
    Rings and rings? Line is open, or on hook.
    If you have a volt meter, look for about 48 volts, where phone comes to house and gollow out.
    Not sure your remaining problem?

Jul 5, 2007, 08:17 PM
    C'mon guys, he's just a Pup ;-) He did actually DEVOUR anything, just munched a bit. The entire wire, from outside to in, is intact. It is just the connections at the little block that are no longer connected.
    Cable Guy actually hardwired the thing.
    Prob is... you remember I mentioned that DH was at the keyboard? The love is a bit hard of hearing and more than a bit less observant when His Sweet Little Boy is about. It is I who must always a)put things High Up or b)grab things out of canine mouth or c)sit on couch and yell "what does he have in his mouth?"
    Pup actually just turned 2, and is really quite good. He is our first return to poodles after 20 years of Flat Coated Retrievers . Now *they* are challenging. We did (dis)obedience, breed, and, best of all, therapy visits to the nursing home. They are naturals at therapy and wicked, sly devils at obedience. I miss them terribly.
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jul 5, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Did you get this issue corrected yet? If not, just let us know and someone can walk you through better. I see you are possibly struggling with just rewiring the phone jack near your computer. Is that correct?

Jul 6, 2007, 02:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acicomp
    Did you get this issue corrected yet? If not, just let us know and someone can walk you through better. I see you are possibly struggling with just rewiring the phone jack near your computer. Is that correct?
    Yes, I have NOT gotten this issue corrected yet. You have it exactly: I am indeed "struggling with just rewiring the phone jack near your computer".I have learned many interesting things about the vagaries of telephone wiring, and less than I wanted to learn about putting my little wire back in the right place
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 04:03 AM
    I have suggested moving your thread to modems. Maybe some of our computer people will know how to connect a modem to the jack. You may not need to connect all the wires in the cable. Post some more details. How is your phone connected to the system? In cable internet, the phone should have its own, separate wire. Your system sounds more like DSL, Cat in, and ethernet and phone out.

I have cable. I carefully kept the coax safely outside the fence. The coax runs into the house and to the modem. I then have an ethernet cable out to a router. My phone then does connect to the router, but that is because I am using Vonage's VOIP rather than my sad excuse of a local phone company. I went to cable to use VOIP to bypass them.

You do need to take care to deny the puppy access to juicy electrical electrical cords. Kate survived eating the A/C wiring and insulation and is now working as a dog guide. We have had 4 new puppies since her plus many guests.

''Accidents and damaged possessions are the fault of whoever was watching the puppy.''
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 04:25 AM
    In reading through your original post again some things fell into place. You can still connect because the chewed cable is phone out, not internet in? If so, you may already have the solution:

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Sounds like your phone wires? White/blue to green, and blue/white to red.
    More info can help.
    If you have one one phone line, it may be just a matter of identifying the 2 hot wires out of the modem and connecting them to the red and green.

For my Vonage VOIP, I have a modem, a router, and an ATA that has an outlet for a regular phone jack. If you have phone service through your cable company, you may have one box doing it all. Through a quirk in the law, I can have Vonage here, but the cable company can't furnish phone service. Vonage is cheaper anyhow, $31 including unlimited long distance and all taxes.
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jul 6, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Ok, let me see if I can help a little more. You have what some would call a four pair cat5 cable coming in to your house from the telephone box outside. There are actually eight wires all together. The pairs are, (1st pair)blue with a white stripe and white with a blue stripe, (2nd pair) orange with a white stripe and white with an orange stripe, (3rd pair) green with a white stripe and white with a green stripe, (4th pair) brown with white stripe and white with a brown stripe. You will probably use the blue pair since it is the first pair. The small box (phone jack) will need to be open either by pulling it apart or possibly popping it open with a small flat blade screwdriver and it probably has four terminals or screws in it. The two screws you will be concerned with are the ones with a green and red wire in the box. The blue wire with a white strip should connect to the terminal screw where the red wire is. The white with a blue strip will attach to the terminal screw with the green wire. Once that is hooked up, you should have a line cord with a male adepter on each end. One end plugs in the jack and the other end will go to your phone or your dsl modem. Have you recently switched to cable after having dsl for a while. I noticed you said the back of the modem was empty. That makes me feel that the old dsl modem was just never removed and the cable installer just unplugged all the wires from it and left it sitting in place when they set up your cable internet. You should have a cable modem in the house with a coax (big black wire) going to the cable modem.

Your dog may have shorted two of the wires together and caused the loss of dial tone. I see you still have internet and hopefully that tells us your cable modem is still working and he did not as you say get the cable wire chewed.

I hope this helps a bit and if you get lost on the way to repair, just let us know and we can help with a map for better directions.

By the way, is your phone service through the local telephone company or the cable company?
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Can you tell us what you have done, and where you stand? Since DH and you provided different info. Does DH stand for D____ Husband?
    He chewed the wires behind the plate? If to modem, can't you unplug, and use new cord.
    We're missing something.
    Labman, not sure, but seems bad info in original post? Trying to sort good from bad info?
    Take Care
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Bad or just incomplete? We really need to know what you have. Who is your internet provider and telephone company? I have road runner through Bright House and Vonage.

Jul 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Incomplete, badly worded, *and* confusing original information.
    Please forgive.
    Let me try to set it straight.
    Obviously, computer still works.
    Telephone *and* computer *and TV are from same provider: I think I mentioned that it was Cablevision. I guess I didn't realize that a "cable" modem could refer to a DSL telephone service, so I thought the 2 words together sufficed. Duh.
    The telephone service is CABLE, not DSL, not VOIP.
    I said that the back of the modem did not have a clear patch, not that it was empty. I think I mentioned that it has lots of lovely wires emitting from the back, including this CAT5 and a big black COAX.
    Nothing has been chewed outside the house, next to the modem, next to the computer, anywhere but right at the telephone junction box. Pup is not large enough to reach top of computer desk. I think even DH would notice that going on in front of him. Hmmm. Maybe not.
    D (when followed by "H" or sometimes "W") is generally regarded in cyber world to stand for "Darling". This is what I have told DH and I'm stickin' by my story.
    Have I left anything out?

Acicomp sounds like he's cottoned on to the crux of the problem; I will endeavor to follow his plan right after DH feeds me dinner.
    (OK, even though the tools are mine, I would normally be feeding him, but my R shoulder is a bit broken. A screwdriver & 8 wires I can handle with my left, but plates are heavy.)

Donna
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
    I don't think he got behind jack, can you just replace telephone line cord?
    Possibly shorted, knocking out phone.
    Can you provide cable modem model #?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

I can't connect to the internet with my switch and cable modem [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 3com 8port switch for my 5 pc's and my LAN works fine. I used to have a 4 port wireless cable router before I bought the switch. I give the router to my brother (in case you guys ask where is the router now). I connect the cable modem to the switch to see if any of the PC can go...

CABLE and Modem Router [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my buddys has a cable modem which she connects to the internet with, its got one USB and one ethernet port on the modem. Ive only seen t he modem through webcam so I couldn't play around, we were NOT able to connect 2 machines one through usb and the other through ethernet. The cable...

Cable Modem [ 8 Answers ]

Can a cable modem be connected to any wall jack that a TV works in any room? Or does the Cable modem need to be isolated back to the coax coming in from the street and a special splitter needed. Thanks

Cable Modem / IP settings problem [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Perhaps someone wouldn't mind assisting me. My problem is that my internet has quit working on my computer. It worked fine until I unplugged the ethernet cable from it and then after that it was always "acquiring network address" then it says "Limited or no connectivity" My modem is...

View more questions Search