Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jul 6, 2007, 09:34 PM
    It almost sounds like the cable modem has a cat 5 cable coming out of it strictly for the phone service and runs into a biscuit box. (Phone jack) She mentioned cat 5 and that is normally used to run to a biscuit box (Jack). She probably has a line cord on the other side of the jack heading to her phone. Then again, maybe she had a cheap install and the installer substituted cat 5 and a couple of rj11 heads instead of a line cord. You should be able to do the repair yourself as I explained before. The only difference I can see is that the cat 5 comes from inside the house from your cable modem instead of outside at the phone company equipment. The jack should still have the red and green wires. As well, if the pup just chewed the wire in two, once you open the jack, the original wires (CAt5) "might" still be attached and you will see where they need to go.

Hope that helps and you get it going. I know that has been a pain to be without a phone this long.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Chebella, can you PLEASE answer:
    1) Model Number of Modem.
    2) When you call your house, does it ring and ring, or ring busy?
    3) Can you unplug and replace shredded cable? We need answers also.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Since it is cable modem, and has a phone wire, and you have 1 provider, perhaps the modem also is Voice over IP. And you get your phone from your modem. Never seen in 1 modem, but possible. Try plugging phone into Modem directly.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2007, 07:11 AM
    You say your phone is cable, may be VOIP, check this:

http://www.optimum.com/pdf/user_guid...um_install.pdf

Take a good phone and plug into back of Modem.
    Sounds like modem is phone source, goes into wall, maybe outside of house, to other phones. Good luck.
    CheBella Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Dang! I just composed a lengthy post, was almost finished... and lost it in cyberland... and it was NOT on notepad or Word. Serves me right.

I'm hurting too much to type it again right now, synopsis:

Stratmondo, worked on answering your questions, will do again. Easy answers are:
    Motorola SBV5121 SurfBoard Cable modem;
    Can I poosibly have VOIP and not know about it; didbn't think co. even suppplied the product.
    I get TV, cable broadbband , and telehpone all from Cablevison, Optimum.

Labman, dyou raise pups for Guiding Eyes for the Blind? They are right around they corner here. (the training school.)

Aci, did everythin you said, blue to red, white to green, still nothing.
    You realize I still have 3 twisted pair with nothing to so here? And TWO empty terminal in biscuit box?
    What to do now?

Thank you all for time
    Soory for typpos, will contact again when analgesic takes effect.

Donna
    Who had been:confused: so proud of her elegantly stripped and wound wires
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Please double click on the link on my last post.
    Plug in phone in cable modem?
    The Source of your phone is IMPORTANT. Hardwire from Telco, or from back of Box?
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Jul 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Just a quick? I just have to ask if you stripped the wire back to bare copper before putting it on the screws. I am not by an means challenging your mentality, but some people just don't know. Also, you can try the other as well on the red and green. Where does the cat5 cable come from? I would also suggest trying what start says about plugging the phone directly in the modem phone port.

Jul 8, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acicomp
    Just a quick ?? I just have to ask if you stripped the wire back to bare copper before putting it on the screws.
    Yes. Did I mention I have tools? When we bought the house, the one thing I knew I'd need that daddy didn't teach us was wiring, so I took "Residential Wiring" from BOCES. Turned out I was only one of 2 the that was not an electrician's appprentice trying to pass the licensing test. The other was an "old guy" (about my age now!) who had a few laundromats on the side & wanted to brush up. We teamed up as partners and whipped apprentice butt all year.

Also, you can try the other as well on the red and green.
    Do you mean: connect the 3 remaining twisted pairs on the red & green?

Where does the cat5 cable come from?
    Now I *have* mentioned that a few hundred times. Starts in basement hardwired w/ initial drop, then routed to every room w/a tv. This one comes up from the basement up the outside of the house 2 stories, through hole in exterior wall then to telephone jack on interior wall. It has the black coax cable making the trip along with it.

I would also suggest trying what strat says about plugging the phone directly in the modem phone port.
    Will try. Modem is on a short leash (so to speak) from wall because the coax is very short there; I'll have to ask DH to wriggle back there to do it. Ah.. he just got home... next segment soon

D
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 06:37 PM
    The link I provided, shows electric, cable, phone, and network connection(s).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Labman never says just what schools he volunteers for to protect them from the people he outrages here and elsewhere. It is amazing the great faith people have in the myths of the 50's.

OK, the unsightly cable runs down the house and inside to the modem. It then has 3 cables out of it, one to the computer, one to the TV, and what is left of one to the phone box. It is a 6 wire cable not what looks like a 4 wire cable in the one link? If so, have you tried

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Sounds like your phone wires? White/blue to green, and blue/white to red.
    More info can help.
    The installer may have connected some extra wires allowing them to add a second line with only a software change. If that didn't work, have you checked the other pairs to see if any pair has voltage? If none of the wires has voltage, it is possible the puppy shorted the hot pair out and either damaged the modem, blew a fuse inside, or it did a software shutdown. Did the installer entrust you with a users manual that might show a fuse? Have you tried killing power to the modem and letting it reboot and then check for voltage.

I am assuming the puppy chewed the cover off the box and the wires inside down to unidentifiable stubs.

Jul 8, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    You say your phone is cable, may be VOIP, check this:

http://www.optimum.com/pdf/user_guid...um_install.pdf

Take a good phone and plug into back of Modem.
    Sounds like modem is phone source, goes into wall, maybe outside of house, to other phones. Good luck.
    YAY! DH plugged phoned into back of modem, as Stratman suggested. We have phone!

So! What next?
    (I did check out the Optimum instal link, Strat. Did you notice that it said to connect Cat5 to computer? )
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 09:31 PM
    I would buy a modular junction box and modular cord. Instal the box and plug the new cable into each end. The other alternative is to cut the end off a cord, and connect red to red and green to green.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Yes, I saw the Cat 5 to computer, I thought that was what you were using, If you have computer elseware, Possibly another Cat 5, in wall to second Computer, If you have other phones in house, you will need to take jacks apart and see what colors are used,
    That jack in back of modem may need a splitter so you have phone at 1st computer, and then continue in wall and to others.
    How many phone and computer jacks in house?
    You will need to connect phone wiring to red and green on jack. Your're getting there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

I can't connect to the internet with my switch and cable modem [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 3com 8port switch for my 5 pc's and my LAN works fine. I used to have a 4 port wireless cable router before I bought the switch. I give the router to my brother (in case you guys ask where is the router now). I connect the cable modem to the switch to see if any of the PC can go...

CABLE and Modem Router [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my buddys has a cable modem which she connects to the internet with, its got one USB and one ethernet port on the modem. Ive only seen t he modem through webcam so I couldn't play around, we were NOT able to connect 2 machines one through usb and the other through ethernet. The cable...

Cable Modem [ 8 Answers ]

Can a cable modem be connected to any wall jack that a TV works in any room? Or does the Cable modem need to be isolated back to the coax coming in from the street and a special splitter needed. Thanks

Cable Modem / IP settings problem [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Perhaps someone wouldn't mind assisting me. My problem is that my internet has quit working on my computer. It worked fine until I unplugged the ethernet cable from it and then after that it was always "acquiring network address" then it says "Limited or no connectivity" My modem is...

View more questions Search