Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duff1962 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 08:40 AM
    I think my 81 year old father is mentaly ill
    Hi , I am beside myself I know my father is mentally ill because he has the same symptoms as myself but he has never had a eval. He was very abusive to his family when we were younger and now no one except for myself wants to help him. But where to I start how do I get him to get help thanks Please Help
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Firstly, why don't you take him to see a professional who might come up with the correct diagnosis?
    duff1962 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 08:47 AM
    He is set in his ways and I am afraid of him ,afraid he might go off on me I am not sure how to approach him
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 08:54 AM
    At some point in time, when parents get very elderly we have to "make" them see doctors or take them for help.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Sit him down and explain to him in all seriousness that you think he needs a doctor and not for mental illness but for physical condition. That way he might agree to go and you will then take him to psychiatrist.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
    At 81 is it possible he has begun to suffer from dementia or Alzheimer's? You state above that you are "afraid of him" and "he might go off." These are VERY common symptoms with the 2 disorders I mentioned. A full health screening by a medical professional, just a regular doctor who you have spoken with previously about your concerns, may be the path you need to start on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 4 year old's father isn't around, how do I tell her why? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was born in 2002 and from the start her father wanted nothing to do with us because he felt as though she was not his. In 2003 I met this great guy who accepted me and my daughter with open arms. We recently ended our relationship in the summer of 2006 which is also the time when I...

How do we introduce 4 year old to her biological father? [ 2 Answers ]

My stepdaughter recently turned 4 years old. She was raised by her mom and stepdad. Child was conceived during one night stand so paternity test was given but not until she was 3. Once paternity was established her mother did not allow her biological father to meet her. Now she has decided to...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

Father died last year; how do I find his assets? [ 3 Answers ]

My father died last July 2006. He was born in Brazil, but was a citizen of the U.S. and was a doctor here for 35 years. He retired, remarried, and moved back to Brazil in 1993. He died without a will. My stepmother claims that he died with no money. I believe he did have a significant amount...

My16 year old doesn't know her father [ 2 Answers ]

The other day me and my daughter went to court over a settlement case and she couldn't get her money due to the fact I didn't have proof of cousty, her father and I were never married and he just up and left. The money isn't the deal, she asked if I could find him and I did. Now he woun't give up...

View more questions Search