Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    courtne Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2005, 09:59 PM
    Changed the Flap, but toilet still leaks
    I replaced the flaps in my toilet 3 times and the toilet still leaks, giving me the phantom-flush. What am I missing?
    :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 30, 2005, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by courtne
    I replaced the flips in my toilet 3 times and the toilet still leake, giving me the phantom-flush. What am I missing?
    :confused:
    By "flips" I assume you mean the flapper. Sounds like your flapper linkage needs adjusting.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. Good luck, Tom
    courtne Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2005, 09:41 AM
    Changed the Flap, but toilet still leaks
    Thanks Tom, and yes... I meant FLAP (long night) I adjusted the chain and it still leaks... I bought another type of flapper and still leaks. I am thinking maybe it is the overflow tube. I need this fixed soon or I will replace the toilet. The increased water bill is enough for a nice new one... :mad:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2005, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by courtne
    Thanks Tom, and yes... I meant FLAP (long night) I adjusted the chain and it still leaks... I bought another type of flapper and still leaks. I am thinking maybe it is the overflow tube. I need this fixed soon or I will replace the toilet. The increased water bill is enough for a nice new one... :mad:
    Have you ran your finger around the seat to check for nicks, bumps or rough spots? The water level in the tank is 1/2" below the over flow tube when the tank's filled isn't it? You have cut off the ring on the flapper and used the hooks didn't you? You don't need to replace the toilet, that's "overkill". Replace the tank parts and you have rebuilt your john. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

Well, I am 19 years old and I just started dating my good friend of two years who is 22. He lives right next door to me and the problem is that before we started going out, only he had feelings for me and I just liked him as a friend. And now since we started going out he has changed completely. ...

Toilet leaks [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. My tenant just phoned to say that the handle of the flush leaks when it is flushed. She also is noticing water around the base of the toilet. Just checking in to see what I should look for when I go over and what some possible solutions might be? Many thanks, JD

H-1b (changed from F-1) with spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, I have some questions for you. 1. I was in F-1 status until June 28 2005, then my status changed to H-1b. I was wondering if I qualify for the residency status for tax purposes this year and file 1040? 2. My wife joined me as my dependent (H-4) on Dec 7 2005. Can I include...

Toilet leaks at handle [ 9 Answers ]

Help, the tank fills up too much, all the way to the handle! And then starts drip drip dripping outside the handle connection into a bucket! But I notice that when the toilet is used a lot (flushed) it does not doing it as often, I guess because it takes a while for the tank to fill up to the top...

Air won't turn on now-changed thermo [ 3 Answers ]

I changed the thermostat from an old Honeywell to a programmable Honeywell 5-2. I have central air & heating is an electric water heater. I programmed it and thought all was well. I came in today and it was 86 degrees. The fan is working but not the air. I set air at 72 and the screen says cool...

View more questions Search