Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victoriakywst Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 02:14 AM
    Foreclosure on house I live in key west Florida what are my rights as a tenant
    I live in key west Florida irecently receive a notice in the mail stating July 31 2007 there will be an auction forclosing the property I live in. so do I have any right to remain in the house . The proerties aren't selling well in key west right now I'm assuming the bank will buy it then try and sell so do I stay or do I go and how long legally can I stay? I have a baby does it matter
    Anything to helpme please
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Start looking for a place to move to now. Once the house is foreclosed on, you have no right to stay. The new owner can't summarily throw you out, the day after he closes, he would still need to file eviction proceedings. So how long you can legally stay depends on the eviction process for your area. If you can show that you have found new lodgings but they won't be ready for a bit, you can probably get some consideration.

Any possibility you might be able to buy the house? You can approach your landlord and offer a deal, maybe assume the mortgage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Normally once the bank officially forecloses, they will give you move out nnotice, often prior to the sale, Because at the sale and prior you will have to allow people to come though the home looking. The day of the sale there may be 30 to 60 to even more in some areas agents, buyers and lookers walking though your home.

But once it is foreclosed, you have to move that is that
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
    There is a difference between HAVING to move and being forced out. Chuck is right, you will receive plenty of notice and legally you are not allowed to be in the house after the bank or new owner tells you to move. But the bank can't just come in on or after that date to throw you out. Then have to go through some legal proceeding. How long that will take I don't know. It may also have an adverse on your credit record. So it makes more sense to move as soon as you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenants rights in Foreclosure Home [ 2 Answers ]

If we are renting a home and the home is in foreclosure status Can we be kicked out? Can we complete our lease if not owned by the same lanlord?

Florida Tenant disputing Security Claim [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I rent in Cape Coral, Florida. I appreciate any help with my question! I rented from a property management company for the past year, and actually was working for them up until a few months ago. My lease was up in April and my fiancé and I moved out. I knew about claiming my security deposit...

Renters Rights in South Florida [ 1 Answers ]

I am renting a condo is Florida and opened some mail by mistake to learn that the owners are behind on their condo fees and being threatened with Foreclosure. What happens to my one year lease if that happens? And how can I be sure I will ever see my $1600 security deposit back?

When do I vacate a house in California after a foreclosure notice was given [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please adv when should I vacate my house here in California after a foreclosure notice is given ? Tks/Dinah

Florida Tenant law, renter passes away [ 3 Answers ]

What is general law/policy with rental leases when the tenant passes away: What happens with deposite, any ending lease fees to the estate? Thanks

View more questions Search