Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 12:16 AM
    Can a restraining order be filed?
    My husband has an ex girlfriend who is constantly trying to contact him, via Yahoo, myspace, phone, etc. He has told her numerous times to stop but she won't. Now she tries to contact me, threatening me and telling me he's cheating on me, which I know is not true and don't even suspect it. She is causing lots of problems, and he is wondering if he can file a restraining order against her (she's in Kentucky, we're in Florida). If not, is there anything else that can be done to resolve this problem?

Thanks. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Hello nautical:

A restraining order?? No.

However, from a technical point of view, I think you can cut her off from communicating with either of you altogether. You may have software that will already do the trick. Or you might have to contact your phone company along with all the internet sites she's using to get her blocked entirely.

excon
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Thanks for your answer. I knew it was a longshot but she is very bothersome and is trying to cause problems :) Thank you for being honest though, I appreciate it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2007, 10:00 AM
    He could in theory, but since the distance between you is considerable it may be considered impractical and/or unnecessary. Generally a restraining order is meant to prevent one party from physically contacting or confronting another who has been proven to present a threat to the complaining party. When she's in Kentucky and you're in Florida she obviously can't physically hurt you. What you could do is charge her with harassment, as that's what she's guilty of, and force her to come to Florida to answer those charges. However, even in that instance, a court may be reluctant to entertain such charges since it seems that it'd be fairly easy to handle the situation yourself. Since everything involves long-distance contact, mostly via the internet, you can always block her e-mail address, block her from your Myspace, change your phone number, etc. If you do all of these things first and document that you've done them, then you can press charges against her and have a good chance that they'll stick.
    Lucy55 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2007, 09:19 AM
    In Maine the law is that if you want to put a restraining order on someone. You have to have proof that they have harassed you 3 times. In you case the e-mail is something that could be printed out that would be one. Record of phone calls (her phone number) would be two. And if there is something else that can be visually viewed it would be the third. Than you could go to the courts if you really wanted to pursue legal action against her.
    Lucy55

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping a restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to stop a restraining order?

Restraining order [ 5 Answers ]

I am currentlly with a man who is married but has been separated from his wife for 2 years. He is finally starting divorce proceedings. When he and his wife first separated she took out a restraining order to the effect that I cannot be around their 3 year old daughter. It has been almost 2...

Restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone get a restraining order based on a threat?

Can I get a restraining order against my parents? [ 5 Answers ]

I am filing for emancipation and I am wondering if I can file a restraining order against my parents so that they can not touch me and hurt me.

What are my Fatherly Rights when I have a restraining order? [ 4 Answers ]

My soon to be ex-wife and myself are currently in the process of our divorce. While we were married, she became very manipulative, threatening, and volatile. When I told her I was filing for divorce, she did the ultimate and called the police on me stating that I pushed her to the ground,...

View more questions Search