Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    endless8infinity Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 3, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Anyone experience young guinea pigs dying frequently?
    A week ago, I bought a guinea pig pup. She died today. This is not the first time I bought a young guinea pig that died. I have gotten maybe 4 young guinea pig pups altogether that have died. Finally one survived and grew up (3 years old) and I was trying to find her another cagemate. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with very young guinea pigs dying within days to a week of purchase? Any suggestions?
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jul 4, 2007, 02:01 AM
    Can't say I ever had this problem myself,
    If you brought the pups from a pet store then I would have took them back and explained the problem and asked if they had any problems,

How old was the guinea pigs when you brought them, and did the seller give you a care sheet telling you what they had been feeding it and if any extra suppliments were given,

If feeding fruit and veg there are some fruits and seed that are poisonous, i.e. apple seeds, iceburg lettuice etc have you ever fed these to the young pups?
    If so then it could have been that, flat lettuice is the best lettuice for them if you can get it as these do not contain the toxins the iceburg lettuice has...

I don't know why you are having the problems but I wish you good luck with the next pup you buy as a friend for the one you have... and umm have you considered buying a small rabbit to keep him company and not another guinea pig as these do go very well togather, not trouble on sex as they are different species so doesn't matter what sex you get

Katie

Jul 4, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Thanks for the input. I got that one from petsmart. They give you a 14 day health contract so I exchanged for another today. They did not give me a care sheet listing what has been fed the pigs. However, I noticed there were absolutely no fruits or veggies. I do know iceburg lettuce is bad for guineas and have never fed them this. I did not know about the apple seeds but I have not fed this to the pup. The only fresh veggies I fed her was celery and romaine lettuce.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jul 5, 2007, 03:02 AM
    If you do get this happen again in any more young ones I would perhaps suggest a post mortem on the young pup as it may be an underlying illness within the breeders stock or it could be something that may have lurked in your house from one of the other past pigs you have had that can go into hibernation... either way a post mortem would tell you in a lot of cases why the pup is dying..

I'm not really into guinea pig illnesses so couldn't tell you what they can catch but there are all sorts out their and where 1 has immunity from the diseases others don't have the same immunity..

I really do hope all goes well with a new pup though , hope you find one that suits :)

Katie
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Are you feeding guinea pig food? Guinea pigs and humans are the only animals that can't make their own vitamin C, and if you have been feeding them something not for guinea pigs, it's possible that they have had a vitamin C deficiency. I'm not sure that that would kill them, though.
    bacforever Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Do you buy them from the same store because if so then chances are it's the stores fault rather than a natural occurrence. I don't know of it being the same with guinea pigs but friends of mine have brought rabbits and hamsters from stores and they keep dying within the first week or so

If this keeps happening, don't support the store but try a rescue centre nearby. They will most likely have babies and will have done a full medical so you will know that the creature is sound and most likely to last. Also, having rescue guinea pigs really doesn't make that much of a difference and can be really rewarding

Jul 24, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bacforever
    Do you buy them from the same store because if so then chances are its the stores fault rather than a natural occurance. I don't know of it being the same with guinea pigs but friends of mine have brought rabbits and hamsters from stores and they keep dying within the first week or so

If this keeps happening, don't support the store but try a rescue centre nearby. They will most likely have babies and will have done a full medical so you will know that the creature is sound and most likely to last. Also, having rescue guinea pigs really doesn't make that much of a difference and can be really rewarding
    I rescued a guinea pig from my local shelter 2 years ago and it died the next day. It was bleeding from its genitals and had diarrhea. I guess they didn't do a full medical...
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
    http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/guine.../Gpsaspets.htm
    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer..._guineapigcare
    http://www.pimms-pages.co.uk/
    http://www.guinealynx.com/healthycavy.html

I am no expert,
    Hope these links help you in caring for your next pet!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea Pigs and Mites [ 6 Answers ]

I have five guinea pigs and there is a possibility that they all have mites. I have taken one to the vet in the past for mites, back when I only had one, and they treated with Ivermectin. I want to know if there are any other things that I can do at home. I know you can purchase Revolution online,...

1 of my guinea pigs died. [ 4 Answers ]

I had two guinea pigs. One male one female. Both 3 years old. The male died today and we are considering getting another pig to keep the female company. Is this a good idea? Please help!! :(

Young guinea pig death [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my son and I got our first guinea pig a couple of weeks ago and the other morning he went out to get it and it was dead. We fed it only the correct grain,carrot, brocholli and apple. It was only two months old and showed no signs of illness. Is this common and what could have been the...

Revolution topical medication for guinea pigs? [ 1 Answers ]

We have three guinea pigs. The older one is very sick and is being treated by the vet for Sarcoptic Mange (mites) and a kidney disease. The younger two show no signs of the mites and seem perfectly healthy. Obviously, they must be treated but, frankly, the shots from the vet are too expensive. ...

View more questions Search