Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doghelms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2005, 03:42 PM
    PVC Tight Places HELP!
    I was forced to cut off a closet (toliet) flange and the 90 degree elbow to which it was glued due to damage to get to clean PVC drain pipe in good condition. The problem is where the elbow will turn up and at the point where the new flange and coupling is needed is very tight. The area is between ceiling joists. It does not appear that I can connect the flange, elbow and coupling in that area. Any ideas?? :eek:
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2005, 08:45 PM
    Can you get...
    Quote Originally Posted by doghelms
    I was forced to cut off a closet (toliet) flange and the 90 degree elbow to which it was glued due to damage to get to clean PVC drain pipe in good condition. The problem is where the elbow will turn up and at the point where the new flange and coupling is needed is very tight. The area is between ceiling joists. It does not appear that I can connect the flange, elbow and coupling in that area. Any ideas???? :eek:
    ... a sketch or photo of the arrangement uploaded so it is easier to determine if the joists can be modified?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 30, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doghelms
    I was forced to cut off a closet (toliet) flange and the 90 degree elbow to which it was glued due to damage to get to clean PVC drain pipe in good condition. The problem is where the elbow will turn up and at the point where the new flange and coupling is needed is very tight. The area is between ceiling joists. It does not appear that I can connect the flange, elbow and coupling in that area. Any ideas???? :eek:
    Hey Dog,

Flickit has the right idea. One picture is worth a thousand words. Having said that I would cut the PVC back to where I could couple a length of PVC with a closet bend already glued on and poke it through the hole in the floor.
    Support the closet bend and cut the excess off at floor level and glue on the flange. If the area that the closet bend goes through the floor is tight then assemble and glue the bend and pipe and install them as one unit.
    Sound like a plan? Cheers, Tom
    doghelms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2005, 06:21 AM
    Solved
    Instead of the 90 degree elbow I was able to use a 45 degree elbow and a PVC closet flange with a built in 45 degree elbow and it was a perfect fit with room to move in the space. Thanks for the reply

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing layout - a tight squeeze? [ 13 Answers ]

Upon remodelling an old bathroom (second story, no fixtures above), I found nearly all the pipes to the fixtures nearly rotted through (brass drains?), with no significant venting. I have a left hand tub (5') and hope to position it against the north wall (70"), with a 10" rough in toilet and sink...

401k in two places [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I currently have 2 401k's roaming about from previous jobs. I don't have one set up with my current employer. I am in a position where I need to get a hold of that money quick, but I'm not sure what my best options are. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! :confused:

Ventilation in tight construction [ 2 Answers ]

I am constructing a 2500sf two story single family home on the coast in northern California where the temp remains fairly steady and cool (rarely much above 75 degrees and rarely if ever freezes)and have concerns about air quality and air depressurization and would appreciate some advice. I am...

Tight swollen feeling all over my body [ 7 Answers ]

Ugh. For the last few days, I've had this weird, uncomfortable feeling that my skin is too tight or that I'm all swollen. My feet and legs feel as if I'm wearing very tight socks, even when they are bare. My hands feel very tight and swollen when I clench them. My arms and legs feel heavy and it...

Air-Tight? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is the lightest air-tight material or combination of materials?

View more questions Search