Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bogit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Changing my sons surname?
    My son went to live with his father two years ago we have a joint residence order. My son resides there during the week and with me at the weekends. According to my sons father my son would like to change his surname to his. Apparently my son was upset when the school referred to him as Mr (my name).

I am unsure what should be done for the best and I do not feel that my son is old enough to make decisions like that at the age of 8, nor do I think he should be put in the position of having to.

If I don't allow it though am I guilty of projecting my own feelings into the situation?

At the same time I have to ask if my ex is the one forcing the issue here rather than helping my son come to terms with our separation.

Ultimately it my son that matters , I am concerned not to ask him as he is guilty of people pleasing and will say what he thinks either of us want to hear. So I would like to hear some non emotionally tied opinions.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 05:08 PM
    My son had my name even though my husband and I are married. When he started school he wanted to use my husbands last name. He has went by my husbands last name for almost 12 years now. He is mostly an a & b student and has never given us any problems. If it is something he really wants, then I say let him. Tell him that it his decision and you will always love him no matter what.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2007, 05:32 PM
    A person can go by any name they want as long as there is no intent to defraud. If your son wants to use his father's name for school, all he has to do is inform the school that's how he will be known.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Or you could always meet on middle ground and hyphenate the last names, so he has both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing minor's surname [ 11 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to have my daughter's surname changed to my married name? I live in PA. Her dad and I split up when she was 3. I gave her his surname upon birth. I have since married. I have primary physical custody and full legal custody of her. He does see her twice a week. Can he...

Changing my son's surname [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the UK. Ten years ago I met and had a relationship with someone by whom I became pregnant. I had a son. The father couldn't be bothered to even turn up for the birth and wanted me to go partying with him the next day as I lay recovering from a Caesarian. I should have realised...

Changing my sons last name [ 3 Answers ]

My son is now 7 months old and his father abandoned us right before christmas I was wondering I need to change his last name back to mine and not his looser fathers do I need a lawer to do that because he will not sign the papers or can I do it by myself

Changing my stepsons surname [ 2 Answers ]

Can my stepson use my surname?

Changing a Child's surname [ 5 Answers ]

I am a single mother and have been since my son was 6 weeks old. I was unmarried to his father and things went from good to bad over night. To make a long story short, his father has supervised visitation due to some abuse that had happened. Thank god I was smart and got the baby medical...

View more questions Search