Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 12:37 PM
    To catch a Cop
    Hello again:

If the person I described in my previous question hasn't committed a crime, and I believe they haven't, I presume that the police force on those TV shows know that too.

Therefore, when they throw one of those people on the ground and arrest them on national TV, can that person sue for false arrest, and collect a bundle?

I think they could!

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Are you sure you didn't drink the koolaid ?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 12:51 PM
    I would think that since it is done on national TV everything is on the up and up. I don't think suing is the option.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jul 3, 2007, 01:01 PM
    If you've ever seen the police "harass" someone, I think it is clear that they can arrest anyone at anytime. All they need is "something" as the basis - It doesn't matter how flimsy or BS it might be, they might even go so far as to make something up...

Citizens can't sue as long as there is some basis for the police to act on.

On the plus side though - Citizens arrested in these situations can't really be prosecuted successfully...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Hello again, philly:

If this were a thing of the moment, I would agree. Or at least I could see how they could form the basis you speak of. However, these arrests are not just happenstance. They are well planned and well executed. I promise you, that some prosecutor has signed off on them.

Be that as it may, I don't necessarily agree with them. I maintain that if a police force knowingly arrests somebody falsely, they absolutely can be held liable. And, I maintain that's exactly what happens here.

Does it bother me that I'm the only one in America that thinks so? Well, if was the ONLY one, but I don't think I am.

I have not mentioned the word "entrapment", because entrapment indicates that the cops induced somebody into committing a crime. My position is that since no crime would have, or even could have been committed, entrapment isn't an issue.

In my view, that even makes the cops MORE culpable. Can they sue the TV network too?? I certainly think they can. In fact, it's the network and maybe even the cops who conspired to take THEIR civil rights away.

excon

PS> Don't get me wrong, folks, I think child molesters are bad people. I just believe in the law.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Most of the people arrested eventually got charged with something but if the case was dropped due to whatever reason it's possible. My guess is no, most of the time when one of these "to catch a predator" cases gets dropped in court its due to insufficient evidence or interference by the camera crew.

I don't really understand it all, apparently they should all face criminal charges for sexually explicit chats with teens but some cases get dropped.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jul 3, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    I promise you, that some prosecutor has signed off on them.
    If anything, doesn't this further insulate the police from making a "false arrest" ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 part movie, murderer dressed as cop or maybe was cop [ 1 Answers ]

Can't think of the name. Was a two nighter, 4 hours. Murderer had a police uniform on, so people trusted him. Remember a winnebago ( I think) was the getaway for people that had been kidnapped by bad cop. Large mean dogs also, dobermans, I think. Bad guy sort of looked like mean doc on scrubs,...

Can't catch up! [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I make approximately $75,000/year. I didn't think that we managed our money poorly but we obvisouly do. We have a total of $5000 in total debt. Some of these are credit cards that are in collection status from years ago that accumulated due to a major health issue with my husband. I...

I want to be a cop [ 6 Answers ]

Sense I was a little kid I always wanted to be a police officer or something within the law enforcment field like dea of atf Or a state trooper I am 20 years old an I went down the wrong road all my life an I want to straighten out my life an Follow my dream of being a police officer I have been...

Catch Him [ 3 Answers ]

How can I attract a guy and get him to be interested in me

IP Cop Help [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys I recently got adsl with a router. This is the problem. The router will only let my client machine connect if its giving out DHCP. If I use static with the router as default gateway I can do anything on the net. I am now trying to setup an ipcop(1.4.6) machine. I have given the...

View more questions Search