Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 29, 2005, 06:14 AM
    Sweating <-> Losing Fat
    I want to know in which ways do these things affect losing body fat...

- sweating because you're in a sauna, not doing anything
    - working out hard in a cold room, which would prevent sweating
    - working out (easily) in a room with high temperature... in a way that room temperature aids sweating

Basically, I want to know how does sweating affect losing body fat.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2005, 07:29 AM
    As I understand it sweating is just fluids escaping your pores in order to cool the skin and has no effect in weight loss since you will recoup that fluid weight the next time your take a drink.

Burning calories is linked to physical activity. Think of the simple formula of calories in vs calories out. If you go for a 50km bike ride and eat a supersize Mcdonald's meal then you have achieved nothing (except to strengthen your legs and butt). If you do the ride and eat lean meat, fruit and salad then you have burned more calories than you are taking in - weight loss is imminent.
    marla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2005, 11:58 AM
    NO as I understand sweating does help lose weight. Cover your stomach, butt, and legs with clear plastic wrap and you will sweat a lot more. It opens up your fat pores and you lose weight
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Apr 12, 2006, 03:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marla
    NO as i understand sweating does help lose weight. cover your stomach, butt, and legs with clear plastic wrap and you will sweat a lot more. it opens up your fat pores and you lose weight
    If you are sweating due to physical activity, you lose fat pounds. If you are just sitting around sweating you are only losing water weight and it is very easily gained back.
    jc105 Posts: 162, Reputation: 17

Apr 20, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Lower calories increase activity.

You burn the most calories when your muscles are at highest efficiency. I have read that sprint excersizes with small breaks are best. Your body is not able to replenish the blood to your muscles as fast as you burn the O2 (Or at least that is my understanding). Which means high intensity activity with short breaks will burn the most calories because your muscle is at highest efficiency.

But lower calories increase activity and that will make the difference. Once you get used to not eating as many carbs and less food in general you won't have hunger pains nearly as often.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 20, 2006, 10:12 AM
    I hate to be blunt but if sweating helped people loose weight then wouldnt most over weight people drop the pounds? My family is over weight and they sweat from walking to the car. The added pounds make them sweat also carrying the weight does as well.
    I think exercize will help you loose the weight. Water weight always returns. I have heard of herbal wraps that make women loose inches but it seems to me its all crap. You get wrapped up and steamed with goo on your body. I think the number of lbs of water a person carries is like 6 so if you loose 6 lbs fast, know it will come back, it was only water.

Hypatia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Alternative to sweating copper [ 10 Answers ]

Howdy, I was at the local big box store and saw something that called it self an alternative to sweating copper. It was a liquid called Just For Copper. Being a geek and interested in things that can make my home improvement life easier, I thought I would give it a try. Well, I am not...

Sweating & Always Hot [ 8 Answers ]

I'm a 57 years old male and on several medications, which are as follows. Amitriptyline, Lexapro, Klonopin, Atenolol, Lipitor, and Niacin. I know that Amitriptyline makes you sensitive to the sun and that Niacin can result in hot flashes. My problem started well before I was on any of these...

Duct is sweating [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. I have a heat pump/furnance unit and it has been working great but I have noticed in the past week that the duct attached to the furnance/blower in our garage is sweating a little bit. It has been very hot lately so I have a feeling that its just from the humidity it the garage, but do you...

Compression Vs Sweating [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all! I need to replace a 1/2 dozen frozen valves in my basement that control water feeds up to 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms and kitchens. The current valves are sweat on. I am not that confident in sweating. Most of the lines are 1/2" one is 3/4". Can I remove these and replace with...

Toilet sweating? [ 1 Answers ]

I just painted my bathroom so I took off the toilet tank to get to the wall. I noticed the tank to bowl seal was in pretty bad shape so I replaced it. When I put it back on the left side on the bottom of the tank has condensation. It produces enough to have a very, very small drip (1/2-3/4 in a...

View more questions Search