Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jul 3, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Motherly Love or Oh-So-WRONG!
    I've just read this on the BBC News website;
    BBC NEWS | Health | Girl could give birth to sibling

(Summary: Woman has frozen her eggs so that her infertile daughter (who is 7 at the mo) can have kids at a later date!)

And it's PROPER messing with my head! Surely this can't be ethically right? :confused:

I mean, she'd be giving birth to her sister!

It would be her mum's daughter... and granddaughter! :eek:

Erm...
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Why not? Isn't giving a kidney to your child ethically okay?

It's not like the child HAS to use those eggs. She may decide not to.

However... infertility is EXPENSIVE. It sounds to me like her mother is just trying to give her options later in life. What mother wouldn't do that?

Jul 3, 2007, 08:38 AM
    I wouldn't liken it to giving a kidney - a kidney can't spawn a new life!

The daughter will have options in later life, like adoption!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 08:46 AM
    I hope the mother has a chromosomal workup before donating eggs for her daughter. It says the daughter has Turner's Syndrome which is a genetic disorder that might show up in her mother's offspring again.
    Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Adoption is NOT for everyone.

How would this be THAT different than a mother adopting a daughter's child because the daughter can't raise it herself (say, for instance, she's 13 when she gets pregnant)? Or different than a sibling carrying your child to term because for some reason you can't?

Is it just that the genetics of the whole thing bothers you?

Jul 3, 2007, 08:52 AM
    I didn't say apoption was for everyone! Lol!

It is the genetics that bother me, yes. Which means it would be hugely different from your first example but not much different to the second example!

How would you explain that to a kid? Would you?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Another thing I noticed upon rereading is that the mother is over 35. She is also now increasing the chance of having a child with Down's Syndrome.

I can truly appreciate her wanting to do "all she can" but, in this case I believe that is going a little too far.
    Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Absolutely, I'd explain it.

HOW I would explain it would depend on how old the kid was, really.

Egg donation isn't THAT obscure a reference anymore, and my explanation would be the sort of "Mommy couldn't get pregnant, so HER mommy gave her one of the ingredients she needed. That means a big part of you came from gramma, and she loves you as much as I do"

Seriously... how much harder is that to explain than adoption is? Or sperm donation?

EDIT: Emland has some very good points, though. Her daughter may not even want to use these eggs because of those chances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it wrong for me to be still in love with someone I hurt? [ 5 Answers ]

I met her over the internet and moved out to her and I kind of didn't tell her everything about me so when I got there she found out how I was. She was hurt that she became heartbroken. But yet I am still in love with her.

Does Love exist? Is there such thing as love? [ 22 Answers ]

I was wondering what is your opinion or thoughts on this situation, I went through a couple of months ago (in 2006). It was nearing the end of my first year at University, I was dancing on the last night the pub was open; suddenly, I saw a good-looking, kind of modest girl and I got the...

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

Love unknown 'n unshared. Wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

Generally speaking, is it that wrong to really love someone but to not be able to let them know, unsure if they share your feeling or not? Unable to take the risk?

View more questions Search