Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monaliz_20 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Errors in Journalizing and posting & effects on trial balance
    I am confused with this part of my homework.. here it is...

The bookkeeper for Stan Tucci Equipment repair made a number of errors in journalizing and posting, as described below.

1.A debit posting of $750 for prepaid insurance was debited to insurance expense.
    2. A cash purchase of supplies for $250 was journalized and posted as a debit to supplies $25 and a credit to cash $25

Instruction:

For each error:
    a.) indicate whether the trial balance will balance
    b.)if the trial balance will not balance, indicate the amount of difference
    c.)indicate the trial balance column that will have the larger total
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jul 3, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Ok, (not trying to come off as rude) this website has a rule, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/financ...board-b-u.html ,that we can't give you answers until you first show us that you at least gave a try at your homework questions. Once you do this we can help you more in detail. Since you seem confused though I will try to provide you with some questions to answer so that you can show you attempted to answer these questions and we can tell you if you are right or wrong and provide a detailed explanation.

He debited 750 to prepaid insurance instead of insurance expense. Will this change the balance at all? Meaning will this make the trail balance (debits must equal credits) unbalanced? If it does how much does it make it unbalanced? Which one (debit or credit column) has more in it that made it unbalanced? Yes, these are the instructions you posted but I just tried to make them a little more understandable.

A purchase of supplies were made. Instead of posting $250 worth of supplies he posted $25 worth and credited cash for only $25 as well. Ask yourself the questions I asked for question #1 and try to answer them on here for more help. Good luck and I'll wait for your reply so I can help you more in detail.
    monaliz_20 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly999

He debited 750 to prepaid insurance instead of insurance expense. Will this change the balance at all? Meaning will this make the trail balance (debits must equal credits) unbalanced? If it does how much does it make it unbalanced? Which one (debit or credit column) has more in it that made it unbalanced? Yes, these are the instructions you posted but I just tried to make them a little more understandable.

A purchase of supplies were made. Instead of posting $250 worth of supplies he posted $25 worth and credited cash for only $25 as well. Ask yourself the questions I asked for question #1 and try to answer them on here for more help. Good luck and I'll wait for your reply so I can help you more in detail.
    1. For the first question, I am assuming that the normal balance of a prepaid insurance is a also debit so I think it does not change the balance.

2. What's weird with this question is that though there is an error in posting the amount, the trial balance is still in balance (well, in my opinion)

Is my analysis right or wrong? I need enlightenment. :p
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
    1.A debit posting of $750 for prepaid insurance was debited to insurance expense.

What should they have done?
    Dr. Prepaid Insurance 750
    Cr. Cash 750

What was done?
    Dr. Insurance Expense 750
    Cr. Cash 750

What needs to be done to correct it?
    Dr. Prepaid Insurance 750
    Cr. Insurance Expense 750

a) Will the trial-balance balance with this mistake? Yes
    b) N/A as it will balance
    c) Neither. They have will the same numbers.

2. A cash purchase of supplies for $250 was journalized and posted as a debit to supplies $25 and a credit to cash $25

You are again correct. While an error was made, since both the debits and credits were equal, the trial-balance will still balance, although with the wrong numbers.
    niqua Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 12:59 PM
    I need a word to descibe independent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trial Balance [ 2 Answers ]

I am supposed to make up a company, its balance sheet, 25 journal entires, then do it's trial balance and all other financial statements. However, I can't get my trial balance to balance. Can anyone figure out why? I've been looking at it for hours and I can't find it. Thanks so much! Protégé...

If T-Accounts Balance does this mean balance sheet & P&L work correctly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just wondering been having some problems with my Balance Sheet balancing, I was wondering if the Trial Balance balances, does that mean that the balance sheet will balance? (given that I do everything correctly? ) Also just a quick question while I'm asking, regarding depreciation in...

Trial balance [ 1 Answers ]

is it possible for depreciation expense- building and accumulated depreciation building (the same one) to have a different $value and be correct? For example my accum dep. Had a credit balance of 100 and then after calculating the dep. Exp of 150 I made an entry : dep exp. 150 debited, and accum...

View more questions Search