Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob1122 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 12:41 AM
    Using a Zydas 1211b USB adapter with a USB Extension cord.
    I just bought a Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter,but it came with no cord.It works fine when plugged directly into my laptop,but when I plug it into a 5ft usb extension cord Windows recognizes it,but I can pick up no signals that I normally can.Occasionally Windows acts reluctant to recognize it,any solutions?

The laptop is new as well.It is a Dell E1505 running Windows XP Pro.

Jul 3, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1122
    I just bought a Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter,but it came with no cord.It works fine when plugged directly into my laptop,but when I plug it into a 5ft usb extension cord Windows recognizes it,but I can pick up no signals that I normally can.Occasionally Windows acts reluctant to recognize it,any solutions?

Anyone?
    eric33066 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 09:01 PM

I am wondering if you solved this problem. I also want to connect the Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter to an extension cord. I haven't tried it yet, but thought I woud use a USB repeater cable instead of a standard cable. I have Inspiron 1501, XP Pro.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 04:33 AM
    Why do you have to connect your USB to an extension cord if it can work when plugged in directly?
    eric33066 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    Why do you have to connect your USB to an extension cord if it can work when plugged in directly?
    So you can locate the internal antenna in a better, usually higher, position.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 04:54 AM
    It will give out the same frequency whether it is a higher position or not...
    rohmell Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    It will give out the same frequency whether it is a higher position or not...
    That's the stupidest thing I ever read on my monitor.
    So will a TV antenna, so why do most people put them on the roof?
    Idiot.

Jul 28, 2007, 01:48 PM

Don't use a passive extension cable.
    I have been using active extension cables on a 1211B up tp 35 feet, no problem.

Jul 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Rohmell,I will try that.I was just about to give up.

I'll let you know if it works for me.

Jul 29, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Rohmell,I will try that.I was just about to give up.

I'll let you know if it works for me.
    Something like this:
    http://i20.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/e8/5b/56_1.JPG
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 8, 2007, 05:24 AM
    Also, if you are using an external USB hub, try plugging it directly into a USB port on your computer instead. It could be a power issue, as all devices connected to a port on your computer (including other hubs), unless they have their own power supply, share the power from that port.
    azhagesh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 01:41 AM
    Comment on eric33066's post
    Why do you have to connect your USB to an extension cord if it can work when plugged in directly
    universaljim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 08:21 PM
    You shouldn't call idiots idiots because they get their feelings hurt and quit posting funny stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB adapter for notebook? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom has an older laptop that does not have a USB port. Is there an adapter that can be purchased to be able to use USB line to modem?

Gauge extension cord can I use as a temporary 'fix' to plug in my washer? [ 3 Answers ]

The outlet my washing machine should be plugged into at the moment does not work. I need to do laundry, so what gauge extension cord can I use to plug it into another, temporary, outlet until an electrician can fix the outlet?

Netgear USB Adapter [ 1 Answers ]

I have two USB adapters and cannot get either to work. I know I may be a little dense. I am trying to link a Laptop (which has its own adapter) to my PC and thereby to my Printer, but I give up!!

USB Device [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Western Digital external 160 gig Hd drive connected to my PC through a USB2 port. I'm running WinXP Home. For over a year the drive's been working fine. Recently for some unknown reason, the drive no longer appears in Windows under MY COMPUTER nor it is listed in the Windows Explorer so I...

USB - PS2 (p/s2) adapter [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a laptop with XP and a dancemat which I use with it by using a USB-PS2 adapter - effectively the dancemat is a keyboard. This works fine with an old adapter of a friend which has the words "AWG space shuttle-c CSA LL80671 AWM IIA/B 80 degrees c 30" written on the wire. I bought a new...

View more questions Search