Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yosemite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 03:11 PM
    A/C outdoor blower unit won't engage to begin each summer - fuses? How do I replace?
    Hello,
    I have a Rheem combined gas furnace and electric A/C system, probably of early 1980s manufacture (the building was built in 1980, and this is probably original equipment).

This is my first residence with central A/C, so forgive my ignorance.

When I first moved in, neither the heater nor A/C worked... turns out the thermostat
    Wiring was bad, so rewiring and a new thermostat got it all working. Performance is
    Quite good, considering the age.

The next summer, the A/C wouldn't work -- the outside blower wouldn't engage. I
    Called a repair company, and they did whatever to fix it, but I'm not sure what. (The
    A/C performance, once running, is excellent).

Next summer, same thing -- I called the company, they did whatever, worked fine again.

Now, this summer, same thing. I'm getting sick of paying for "repairs" every summer,
    So I'd like a more permanent solution.

I had a conversation with an HVAC company person working on the house next door,
    And he mentioned that it was common for a blower (having been idle for maybe 8 months) to blow fuses upon startup, since it's lubrication has all settled and it needs
    A few "cranks" to get it going (my words, not his). Certainly seems worth trying,
    But I don't know what type/amperage of fuses to get or where the fuse panel is,
    So any help appreciated.

The ID plate on the blower reads:

Rheem Imperial
    RAGA-031JAQ

If that helps at all.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Alan
    yosemite AT programmer.net
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 2, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Turn off breaker in house. Open outside disconnect near A/C unit. Remove fuses. Go to the hardware store and get the same kind of fuses you took out and replace them. No Big Deal.
    yosemite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Turn off breaker in house. Open outside disconnect near A/C unit. Remove fuses. Go to the hardware store and get the same kind of fuses you took out and replace them. No Big Deal.
    Thanks!

It appears to be fixed now. The problem was twofold:

- one fuse was blown

- the 24V command wires had been cut (probably by landscapers), so patching them
    With a wire nut did the job.

Thanks much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor A/C unit hums but doesn't come on [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 ton century A/C unit. The outside unit will not come on, but it hums. I have determined the following: The air handler fan in the inside unit comes on. The compressor and the fan in the outdoor unit do not come on, but it hums. (I assume the compressor is not coming on... lines are...

Painter sprayed outdoor unit [ 2 Answers ]

Help. I just found out, through an ac tecnician, that my ac isn't working right because it is apparent that my painter did not cover my outdoor unit when spraying paint onto my house. It is verry obvious as the ac is painted and coated. Is there any hope beyond complete replacement?

Replace cable to engage Craftsman 42" mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace the mower engage cable on a 42" craftsman lawn mover deck?

Water Tank Fuses Blow 3x/Week, Box Smells Like It's Burning, Sparks When I Replace [ 6 Answers ]

The fuses. My landlord said that it's perfectly normal for the fuse to create a spark when I screw it in because I'm making a connection. It has NEVER done this before. My landlord said that I'm screwing the fuse in too slow, which is why I'm seeing them. Then he screwed it in at the same...

View more questions Search