Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdoubleu Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 02:17 PM
    downpayment for land or loan
    I found a piece of land for $34,000. It has come at a time when the savings has just been depleted. This was expected in januarary, not July. I have little over 10% for the down. The only other thing I have is two car titles, at a value of $15,000. This dosen't help with the land loan, but can I get a separate loan for the down and closing? Are there any other avenues for help? My wife an I are 1st time home buyers, any advice or ideas would be appreciated.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 2, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pdoubleu
    I found a piece of land for $34,000. It has come at a time when the savings has just been depleted. This was expected in januarary, not july. I have little over 10% for the down. The only other thing I have is two car titles, at a value of $15,000. This dosen't help with the land loan, but can I get a separate loan for the down and closing? Are there any other avenues for help? My wife an I are 1st time home buyers, any advice or ideas would be appreciated.
    I believe there is a federal loan program in which the Fed Govt allows first time home buyers the opportunity to become home owners with very little or nothing down. You stated you "found of piece of land" and I am not sure if the program, if it still exist, is for land only. Ask a real estate agent this question and perhaps they can give you a good answer if the program still exists and if it is applicable to "land only". Your scenario raised a couple of points to consider... One, real estate is normally a good investment if held onto for a period, in some cases, a short period but most of the time, one must hold onto it for a long period. It's not a liquid (convertibe to cash quickly) type of investment and tons of people loose during a "forced" sale. I would not jeopardize my vehicles by putting them up as collateral as they are a means for most as a way to get to a job to earn needed money. You've apparently worked hard to get those vehicles paid for and eliminate the debt. One should have 3 to 6 months of readily available cash for emergencies that arise in everyone's life. Like loss of a job, income, car repairs, etc. I would not recommend buyiing the land and mortgaging your vehicles, rather pass of the real estate opportunity, build your cash reserves, pay cash down and have a reserve left. Those are just my ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k disbursement and downpayment [ 3 Answers ]

In 2005, I took a withdrawal from my 401K, which I used as a downpayment on my first and primary place of residence. I was paying it back, when I changed companies in 2006. The old company has reported it to IRS as a taxable income. Now I face additional penalties and taxes. How do I offset my...

Just Land [ 1 Answers ]

Where Can I Find Out About Buying Just Land From The Government.anywhere In The Usa Thank You

What can I do on my own land? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I have a piece of property zoned commercial (highway frontage 2). I no longer have a business license, but I sometimes would like to throw community concerts and private parties on my land. Do I need a business license for this even if I am not making money or am...

View more questions Search