Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 03:09 AM
    Looking for a laptop
    I'm a student and I'm looking for a laptop. The problem is that I don't know much about computers.

I will use the laptop for school, so I must be able to run stuff like word and powerpoint on it and be able to save quitte a lot of files.
    I also would like to play games, and I read that laptops aren't really that suitable for games.
    As for my budget, I have none. Although I'am a student, I can pay quitte an amount. If I see something that suits my interests, I will determine whether its worth the price.

Can anyone help me out on the game thing (school tasks won't be a problem, I suppose), or just give me some tings to look out for or tips or something when buying a laptop?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2007, 03:12 AM
    It's all a question of numbers.
    You buy the biggest you can for the budget you have.
    Laptops, like other computers, handle games well.
    You just need to avoid onboard graphics as they are truly terrible.
    Admittedly a full on gaming machine WILL cost serious money.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 03:14 AM
    When buying a laptop to play games for example Need for speed, then I would recommend 512 graphics card, 2 gig RAM, 3.0 Ghz processor and you can choose the brand ;)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2007, 03:18 AM
    Interesting specs there ben, but with the newer Core 2 machines it's not a simple case of big Ghz on the CPU.
    My XPS, is "only" a 2 Ghz, but it's Core 2 ;)
    Plays EVERYTHING maxed out at 1920x1200 with NO slow down.

Ok so I also have a 512 Mb Geforce 7950 GTX and 2 Gb RAM to boot.
    USA price about $2,500
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 03:25 AM
    I thought it will be cheaper for the student...

Jul 2, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Those are answers I can use. Quick and containing a lot of useful information.

Thanks a lot
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2007, 06:29 AM
    First, you should talk to the school. You need to get their requirements. Also many schools offer discounts to students.

Second, you need to define what games you want to play. If we are talking graphics intensive RPG type games, then yes you need pump up the video. But if you are only playing solataire, that's not necessary.

You also want to look for battery life. And weight is an issue. The lighter the unit, the smaller the screen and the lesser graphics.

Jul 5, 2007, 03:38 AM
    Well Scott, in answer to your signature, al the (serious) responses are welcome. And yes, it is useful. But I don't think the school has any laptops that are suitable for games.
    Speaking of games, with games I do not mean solitauire and minesweeper, but games like, just to call some examples, Command & Conquer, Tomb raider, GTA and Need for Speed. THAT kind of games. So graphic cards will be an issue.
    I also saw on the internet that, when you want to play games, you should avoid taking a laptop with shared memory. What's up with that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 5, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Shared memory uses some of the RAM as video memory. This is, of course, not as desirable. As dedicated video memory.

Ok, so the games you are talking about are the higher end graphics intensive RPG games. So yes the graphics card is an issue. But that doesn't mean you want to make sure you meet the school's requirements. You never know until you ask, maybe the school is an engineering one that uses CAD programs a lot. CAD programs have similar requirements to high end games.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Is this a right way to use Laptop ? [ 4 Answers ]

When using Laptop at home, I use AC Adapter without taken out Battery. Is this correct way ? Or I have to take out Battery ? My friend say: if I don't take out Battery when using AC Adapter, the battery will finished quickly. That means I have to buy a new Battery ! Is this true ? Normally,...

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

Which laptop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am Claire, I want a laptop for making home movies and I want to know what is the best one to get. I want good graphics, large memory and very portable. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Best Laptop for... [ 3 Answers ]

I use Dragon Speaking Naturally, and need at least 500 MHz. I also have a preference for something light, as I travel/write, and word processing is my main desire. I want something with a screen size around 10 or 11 inches. Sound Blaster (clone) is recommended. A (built-in) CDrw/DVD would be...

View more questions Search