Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ulrich79 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 03:01 AM
    Cannot connect to the internet when 2 cards enabled
    Hello guys !
    I have 2 network cards installed on my computer. I use one for access my LAN and I want to use the second for the internet. For the internet I have a static IP address. My problem is that I cannot access the net with the 2 cards enabled and connected. But when I disconnect the Lan card I can access the net.
    I don't know if its because when both cards are enabled they're both trying to access the net at the same time.
    Any ideas about how to get around this problem ?
    Thanks for the help !
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2007, 03:03 AM
    OK I have to ask WHY you have decided on this route?

There are any number of internet routers on the market that make connecting to LAN and internet a simple operation.

Remember the KISS principle.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2007, 03:19 AM
    You need two IP address' to differentiate between the two connections, but again why do you want to use two NIC's?

Jul 2, 2007, 04:14 AM
    I just wanted a dedicated card for the LAN et the other card for the Net through a VPN connection. This config used to work but I had to reinstalled and the problem showed up.
    PS. Im not using the vpn connection anymore but I think I should be able to connect without problem.
    Thanks
    By the way Curlyben what kind of routers u talking about ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2007, 05:53 AM
    I agree with the others, it would be simpler to use a router. There are a number of broadband routers ranging in price from $20-$150.

One thing you don't say is how you connect to the Net, broadband, dialup?

Jul 2, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Im using a broadband connection.
    Is what I'm trying to do wrong or what are the advantages n disadvantages of both method , I mean either using one or two nics
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2007, 04:52 PM
    The disadvantage of trying to use 2 Nics is creating conflicts and complexity that is unnecessary. The only times I've seen 2 NICs used is to isolate segments of a LAN from others and then the NICs were in a server.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 2, 2007, 05:53 PM
    I agree with the others that it is not worth the complexity. And the complexity is what's causing your problem.

The technical reason why this isn't working is because your computer sees 2 default gateways which are conflicting with each other. It is preferring the LAN side of the default gateway which of course doesn't take you anywhere (that's my guess). You can help to verify this by displaying the output of the command "netstat -rn". You'll see two default routes.

Casey

Jul 3, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Thanks guys for your help. I'll look more into it and see what to do. The thing is it used to work fine before. I just can't remember how the settings were done.
    Thanks anyway !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE won't connect to internet [ 8 Answers ]

HI - I'm running XP, Modem/DSL. FireFox connects to internet, but IE6 or IE7 won't. Because of no IE connection, some apps, e.g. Quicken won't connect either. Earthlink suggests running Norton Anti-virus. Anyone have a idea?

My PC won't connect to the internet! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey!! Recently my partner has moved in and I have their PC it hs never had the internet on before so I took my ethernet out my laptop and run my blueyonder broadband cd in the PC. And pluged the wires in to the PC when instructed to when it came to connecting it the error message poped up...

Can't connect to Internet [ 4 Answers ]

I am connecting to my wireless internet, but when I try to connect to the internet it says, "cannot find server." When I try to repair my wireless connection, it stops and says it can't be repaired because it cannot renew my ip address to talk to the person that manages my network. I don't know...

Cannot connect to the internet [ 3 Answers ]

When trying to connect to the internet the following error is displayed "dns is unable to resolve ip address".How is this overcome?

View more questions Search