Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    appusviews Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Why upper atmosphere is very cold
    Without having an atmposhere, I guess, our earth might have been as hot as moon's surface in the day time (above 100C) and as cold as the same at night. My question is why up in the atmosphere, especially in the cloud level (for example cirrus clouds consists of ice crystals) the air is very cold (like -40 or above). Why does the sunshine not heating these ice crystals? How the temperature is maintained at very low temperature in this level? Second question is what is the temperatue in the upper space, due to direct solar radiation (for example on a satellite orbiting earth, when it is exposed to direct sunlight?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2007, 12:35 AM
    In answer to your first question, I would suggest checking out the information on the following site: Explanation of Atmospheric Stability/Instability - by Steve W. Woodruff
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Heh, have you ever seen ice? It doesn't absorb light, just refracts and reflects it. The sun doesn't warm up the ice because it's not absorbed by it. There's nothing in the upper atmosphere that would absorb a large amount of EM energy. The lower atmosphere is warmer because the Earth absorbs the energy and then reradiates it at a lower wavelength, warming the air.

As for the temperature of a satellite, that would depend very much on the albedo. The albedo of the moon is 12% which is very low. That means that it absorbs 88% of the EM incident on it which is one reason it is so hot. The Earth's average albedo is around 30%.

I would suppose that satellites would have a low albedo also, as the solar panels are designed to have low albedo to collect more EM. Satellites are probably designed to have a low reflectivity, as this would affect the motion of the satellite due to radiation pressure, but this is just speculation. Different parts of a satellite would have different temperatures, depending on the material, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Atmosphere - Board game [ 16 Answers ]

Does anyone remember a 1990's board game called atmosphere?

Earth's Atmosphere [ 11 Answers ]

Could deforestation on a massive scale effect the oxygen content of the earths atmosphere?

New upper dentures [ 1 Answers ]

New upper denture wearer. The roof of my mouth is very, very painful. Have had two adjustments. What can I do?

Maytag side-by-side refrigerator low cabin cold upper cabin warm [ 1 Answers ]

I have a maytag side-by-side refrigerator. I noticed that in the refrigerator section the low part ( where there is an air duct opening to the freezer). However, the upper part is warm. I have tried changing the temperature control it doesn't seem to be helping. Apparently the freezer is...

Changes in the Earth's atmosphere [ 1 Answers ]

What are some possible effects of climate change resulting from a warmer earth? What are the major harmful effects of ozone depletion on each of the following: Human health Crop yields Forest productivity

View more questions Search