Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vanettaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2007, 12:01 PM
    How will I know if I am mentally ill or if it is just stress?
    Two years ago, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I did all the research on what it is. I don't believe that I have it. I was abused very badly on many occasions as a child and recently on jobs and by family members and people who I thought were my friends. I believe that it is just trauma from my past. My family is not helping one bit by giving me the impression that I am crazy. I thought about just ending it all. I get involved in many different things such as exercise, volunteering, going to church, and working on my dreams of becoming a fashion designer and writer. How can I really make all the pain from my past and feeling as though I'm being lied to go away?
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Jul 1, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Eventually you will get through all your past experiences and learn to trust people again. I'd talk to a psychologist and go through everything and learn from it. I guess the only person that can tell if you're crazy is someone who has seen many different kinds of people.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2007, 12:07 PM
    This is a very hard question to answer. As you may or may not know, the majority of people who have schizophrenia suffer from denial. They deny they have the disorder and usually blame their behavior on other people or other situations.

It is also very well known that people with this disorder usually begin experiencing it in their late teens or early 20s. And typically, a stressful situation or circumstance will manifest the schizophrenia.

How can you make the pain go away? That is the million dollar question with this disorder.

Are you on meds? If so, what kind and for how long?

Are you in therapy? If not, I would suggest that you do this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Do you know why the schizophrenia diagnosis was given? -- what your symptoms were that led to that diagnosis?

Are you on meds for it? If so, are the drugs and your reaction to them being monitored? Are your thinking and behavior on them different from when you don't take them? Are you attending regular counseling sessions with a therapist who is working with you on getting past the past and on setting goals for the future?

You are an excellent writer, and you express your thoughts and feelings well. If you are doing well in the activities you mentioned, why does anyone think you are crazy?

How and what you're reporting don't match others' opinions and observations.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2007, 02:50 PM
    I have to agree with Wondergirl in a sense. Many people diagnosed with schizophrenia are usually very very intelligent.

Please answer her questions as well as mine so that we can help you better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I mentally sound? [ 10 Answers ]

If you talk to me or communicate with me you will not see any difference in me from a regular sensibe person. But the below things get me think that I have some problems. Or am I simply normal? 1. I had (I believe sung a song loud when at work and my co-workers heard it really loud). I am...

Assisted suicide for mentally ill [ 6 Answers ]

A legal option in some countries, which ones?

Mentally I'm NOT okay with this [ 10 Answers ]

My sister had her baby at 8:49am it is now 9:35am. This is her 3rd baby and she turned 17 in February... Her first baby shae gave up for adoption her second one she kept and this one she gave up for adoption as well. When people ask me, "Is your sister keeping the baby?" I tell them the truth "No,...

Mentally ill parents [ 7 Answers ]

As some of you may know, both my biological parents had a serious mental illness. I am working on a book for adult children of mentally ill parents, sort of a semi-autobiography of my own life, but I would also like to include stories from others. I have interviewed a few people in my city, but I...

Mentally ill parent and their debt [ 3 Answers ]

My parent has been declared mentally and physically unable to handle anything. Entered the nursing home from the hospital and has several credit card debts. Sold home to settle debts five years ago, and at the time was mentally/physically able to make all decisions. For the last two years, I...

View more questions Search