Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgmcmil2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Does a landlord need a key to my apartment
    If you have a landlord, that has keys to every other apartment and enters them at will, with no notice to the tenant of that apartment. Do I have to give her a key because I'm afraid she will enter and things will g missing.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Generally, the landlord has a master key that allows them to access all the apartments. However, some apartments locks do not key like that and so the landlord will have a separate key for every apartment. Why do you have to give the landlord a key? The landlord should have had two keys already - one for his or her own land one for you.

If that is not the case, yes, you do need to give the landlord a key. That is so, if there was an emergency such as a fire or water or other maintenance emergency, they can enter your apartment. No, they cannot just enter free will. You would need to give them permission to enter your apartment when you are not home. Check your lease about that. If you do not see something regarding that on your lease, then write them a letter concerning that. You do not wish anyone in your apartment without your presence or explicit permission. Sign it in front of a notary, have it notarized, then send it certified mail. Keep a copy.

That being said, that still does not give you 100% guarantee that the landlord will not come in when you are gone. But it does give you some footing. Also check your local renter's rights association to see what their advice would be.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2007, 04:30 PM
    A landlord is allowed keys to all of his properties. And yes you will be allowed to furnish him a key. For most issues, he needs to give a 24 hour notice that he will be in the apartment, for example I tell people on Monday that on Tuesday I would be in to spray for bugs, or be in to inspect the property, they do not have to give an exact time,

For emergancy they are allowed to come in at any time. For example, water running out of home, a report of a problem in the home and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord showing apartment while occupied [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is legal for a landlord to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I have satisfied my lease and am moving in 30 days. She keeps giving my telephone number to people who are calling me wanting to view. I told her to stop so now she is going to just show the place...

New apartment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to move in to a new studio (one room apartment) in couple of months and I really want To make it look good witout using a lot of money. I've looked at some examples in magazines and I Wonder if I should decorate my room in an extreme Fancy way that I like (such as leopard...

Can landlord force tenant to paint apartment before leaving? [ 10 Answers ]

I am currently living in an apartment pay month to month rent. I am wanting to move into a bigger apartment in the same building. The realty company has told me that they won't allow me to move from one apartment to another in the same building unless I pay a finder's fee (I paid one already when I...

How often does a landlord have to update an apartment? [ 3 Answers ]

How often does a landlord have to update an apartment? i.e. carpet?

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search