Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foil Posts: 178, Reputation: 4

Jun 30, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Should I/how to convert IRA-BDA to a Roth IRA
    A few years ago I inherited an IRA. It's now referred to as an IRA-BDA. It is all one mutual fund. As it stands now, when I withdraw from it I have the option of taking out 10-15% taxes on the amount withdrawn, or waiting until tax time to pay it.
    1.Would it be more beneficial to change my IRA-BDA to a Roth IRA or exchange the Mutual fund shares for a new mutual fund which is rated higher. (the current fund seems rather stagnant). Would the way I withdraw and pay taxes change?
    2. To convert to a Roth IRA would I have to sell all the current shares (this would change my tax bracket by tens of thousands), pay the taxes on that transaction and then open a new account, a Roth IRA or is there some other way to convert it?

Thanks for any advice or info you can offer.

Check out some similar questions!

ROTH IRA Beneficiary [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in US on L1-B Visa form India. My spouse and kids are in India, They will come for a short trip of 2 months on L2 visa and go back to India. 1. When I want to open a Roth IRA a/c, I am unable to list my spouse as beneficiary sine she does not have SSN, She will not be eligible...

Roth IRA for 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

My case is Jan '06 - May '06 = F1 Jun '06 - Sep '06 = OPT Oct '06 - Dec '06 = H1 So I'll be filing as a non-resident. My question is can I start a roth IRA and contriute towards the 2006 limit before the taxes deadline? Some brokerage firms require individuals to be residents to be able to...

Roth IRA for F1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert, I am a student of Indian citizenship with an F1 visa, in the US since Aug. 2003. I file taxes using the 1040NR-EZ form. I was wondering if it would be possible to contribute towards a Roth IRA in my current status. From the research I did on the internet it seems like I...

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search