Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anthony0918 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Close my 401K account
    I'd like to close my 401K account, and pay off a bill I have, but I don't qualify for none of the Hardship cases. What can I do besides taking out a loan on my 401k? What I want to do is, just close my account and take my money back, but I'm not sure if I could do that. What are my choices?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 06:14 PM
    No you really don't want to close it. If you close it, you will not only pay a 10 percent penalty but have to pay your taxes on it also. So you can expect to pay 35 to 45 percent of the money in your account in taxes and penalties if you take it out. The smartest thing to do is take a loan out on it,
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 06:19 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck. And be sure to pay back the loan!! That 401(k) may look useless to you right now, a worthless money hog, but rest assured, when you are 55 or older, you will be so very glad you have it and what other monies have gone into it. And yeah, I know it's hard to imagine being old, but that time will arrive faster than you can say "Jack Robinson"!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

Hardship withdrawals regarding 401k account [ 2 Answers ]

I am an employee of a fortune 500 company and need emergency funds to prevent foreclosure on my home. I have read some information about hardship withdrawals but want to know if my employer can deny the withdrawal if I meet all the requirements. Is this a federal rule that can't be denied or can...

Closing a 401k account [ 2 Answers ]

HI. I'm on a Leave of Absence from my place of employment. I need money and the only source I have is my 401k... I took a loan out earlier this year, from the 401k, not knowing I could only have one loan out at a time. So now I feel my only option is to close the account and take whatever is...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Can I close one account? [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 retirement 401k accounts. (one of my companies was bought out by the other)I would like to close 1 of them out and put the money into a down on property in which to live. How much in penalties will this cost me % wise.

View more questions Search