Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewujun Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Tax Return Filing Status - Married H1B with Dependents Overseas
    Hi, I came to the US on F1 two years ago. I graduated this summer and will start working in August 2007 under H1B. My wife and son spend most of the time back in home country and only come to the US occasionally. (A couple of months per year tops). Is it true that in this case, my US tax return status will have to be SINGLE and I cannot claim any dependent deductions? If so, what test do they have to pass in order to qualify as dependents?

Thanks a lot.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 07:52 AM
    You will be able to file as a resident alien and claim your son as a dependent IF you and your wife file jointly and choose to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2007.

This is an option allowed under the First Year Choice program.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things about tax return 1) Was my wife eligible to apply for SSN...

Tax Return - H1B & H4 Dependents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am filing my 2006 taxes and wanted to know if my wife and child who have not yet come to US can be claimed in my tax return? They are planning to come in May 2007... can I apply for postponement and then file the return later with them as dependents? Please reply fast... Thanks...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search