Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fightn_tha_goodfight Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jun 29, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Employee rights, do we have them?
    In Florida when a person leaves a job and the boss takes money out of your check for no reason, what can a person do??
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Generally, an employer doesn't take money out of a check for "no reason".

What reason have they given you? I know in our company, if you quit with no notice (because we depend on our crews), your last paycheck will be given at minimum wage. That is, however, in our employee agreement.

Depending on your contract/agreement, and what the employer's reasoning is (like not returning uniforms, for instance) you may just be out of luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Hello fight:

You can sue them in small claims court, and I would.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
    First of course honest employers don't, they hold money out for uniforms or keys not returned, They may hold money for 100' of reasons, Normally employees fault. In some cases the employee signed if they leave within a certain time frame they will pay back certain debts, and with insurance sells people often they have advace against commission they will actually owe the company.

But if you believe it was taken out wrongly, you sue them in court.
    fightn_tha_goodfight Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Thanks all for the your answers, an yes I left fulfilling all my obligations to best I could have, I just decided to move companies to advance my career and I guess this made them mad, and the deductions were on a self made bases. Now , this small claims thing how do I go about the first step?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employee way of thinking [ 4 Answers ]

I own a small business. I don't understand why some employees think the place can't run without them. I have terminated a few employees and every one of them have said that none of the customers will ever come back if they aren't there. I don't understand what their psychological make up is to make...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Always angry employee [ 7 Answers ]

I am a manager with about 20 people under my wing. One of them is always mad about something, her rage seems bottomless. Right now she is targeting one of the other people in the department. We have talked about it, I have tried to make progress with her but I can't seem to reach her. She is a...

Employee theft [ 9 Answers ]

I recently got caught taking some money from the till at work... I feel terrible, I've done it before a few times out of desparation, single mother... just trying to feed my kid. Now a police officer came and told me I could come down to the station and talk to him, it was my own choice, I chose...

Lost employee w2 [ 2 Answers ]

I have worked in same state but moved two months later, I asked employer to mail my w2, I've called them a few times, and still have not received my w2 form from them, how do I go about getting my w2 mailed, or can I find a copy of it online somewhere.. I cannot wait anylonger to file.. please help

View more questions Search