Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 01:35 PM
    New to Potty Training
    I have a 2 1/2 year old son and I'm currently in the process of trying to potty train him. I need some help. He will tell me he has to go to the bathroom but when I put him on the toilet he just sits there. He won't go, but as soon as I put the pull up back on him he goes. I've tried bribing him with treats and everything. What can I do?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Let him do it in his own time. Remember that they don't go to kindergarten in diapers. I have potty trained 4 times.

Pull ups, ah, good idea, but not with potty training. They are basically diapers without the tapes. You see with pull ups, even the newer wetter feeling ones, they still have the security of a diaper. They are good when you are not home and out and about. But actually defeat the purpose.

Many boys are harder to train than girls.

Have you tried fruit loops in the toilet and having him "aim" for them?

If he is not ready, don't force him. Just let him do it when he is ready.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 01:52 PM
    I'll try the fruit loops thing, that's a good idea! As for the pull ups, they're the cold alert ones. Apparently when they get a little wet they get really cold or something. Are those any help?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Nope, didn't make a lick of a difference to Johnny if they were the cold alert ones or not.

Look he is only 2 1/2, this is not something that they learn over night. You see learning to control your bowels and bladder is one of the hardest things to master. But he will master it, give him time. Johnny did not even begin to want to train until his 3rd birthday. When he was ready he was trained in less than a week.

We want to rush our kids through so many developmental tasks that we forget what is important. Just loving them and nurturing them unconditionally is the most important thing we can do. All other tasks will come when our children are ready, not when WE are ready.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 02:02 PM
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all of your help :)
    rachelander Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    I have a 2 1/2 year old son and i'm currently in the process of trying to potty train him. I need some help. He will tell me he has to go to the bathroom but when i put him on the toilet he just sits there. He wont go, but as soon as I put the pull up back on him he goes. I've tried bribing him with treats and everything. What can i do?
    Hi,

I have a two and a half year old boy also, and I potty trained him when he was about 18 months, What I did was to put him on the potty immediately after he woke up in the morning, or after he'd been dry for a couple hours (when I knew he had to go). And at first, nothing happened, he just didn't know how to get the pee out. So, I'd turn on the faucet in the sink, and give him a little poke in the bladder. That did the trick. And then I'd mae a huge deal about it, jump up and down and clap my hands, lots of hugs and kisses and a reward of m&ms. Then, we'd do it again an hour later before he could have an accident. At the same time we said goodbye to diapers and pull ups completely and put him in underwear. Now, at two and a half he's been fully potty trained for several months, and he only wears a pull-up at night. Worked great for us, and almost overnight. Good-luck!
    dthodge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    I have a 2 1/2 year old son and i'm currently in the process of trying to potty train him. I need some help. He will tell me he has to go to the bathroom but when i put him on the toilet he just sits there. He wont go, but as soon as I put the pull up back on him he goes. I've tried bribing him with treats and everything. What can i do?
    I played sink the cheerios as a game to get my son having fun with it. It may work for you too.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Mine is almost 4 and he is just now going all the time. We found that it was easier on him to have him stand and bought a little stool for him to pull up to the toilet. Cheerieos didn't work for us, so we went to "rewards" he started getting a sticker or sucker each time, then once he had the hang of it we made it where if he went all week he could pick out hot wheels. It worked well. Now the pooping is another matter, we just got that under control, but my son has issues in that department that most kids don't. But boys are much harder to train. I suggest having him go to the store and pick out his cool new big boy underwear... its a BIG deal. Then also get some of those rubber underwear things, so you don't have such a mess... good luck! And be patient with him
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Since it is summer, can you let him run around "free"? We did this with my daughter - we put a long skirt on so she wouldn't be showing all. She was trained in no time. I have heard that boys are harder to train than girls. The biggest thing to remember is that kids will get this when they are ready. Not when we are ready.
    Good Luck.
    peanut6966 Posts: 43, Reputation: 7

Jul 15, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Boys are harder than girls, my son was almost 4 before he was fully potty trained and my daughter was 2. All those Pull Ups are fine for at night or when you are going out but they made my son lazy and he would just say he had to go and then put one of those on and go to the bathroom in them.
    I just put him on his potty seat in front of the TV with his favorite shows on and a juice cup and eventually after a while he would go potty.
    I wouldn't rush it, he will go when he is ready :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
    I have two sons, both finally decided at the age of 3 (both within a week's time) to get with the program. Before that, nothing worked. Use training pants, not pull-ups. You want HIM to be trained, not you, so let him figure it out. If nothing seems to be working, forget it for a while and try again a couple of weeks.

Potty training is a readiness thing. If he's not ready, nothing will make him be ready. If anything, YOU will be trained, not him. You want to do this right. You don't want an anxious kid who will later wet the bed when he gets mad at you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

View more questions Search