Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TomCT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Bathroom Exhaust Fan Wiring
    I'm trying to wire an exhaust fan to an bathroom light switch; how do I go about doing this project. The existing light switch is a single pole, and I assume I will need to install another double box for two (2) switches - one for the existing light and the other for the NEW exhaust fan. Please help; specifically, I would like to see how I connect the power for both light and exhaust fan switches in this new dual box. Thx. TomCT
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 12:53 PM
    I attached a diagram for three switches, imagine there is only two, and run one two wire cable (with ground) up to the new fan and connect per the diagram.

See if this helps, if not get back with any additional questions.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 06:20 PM
    If you are lucky, when you remove existing switch, see if it is single gang mudring, in
    4" X 4" box, if so, you could get 2 gang mud ring, overlay on existing single gang, draw lightly, remove drywall taking care not to go out of the line, install 2 gang mudring.
    Install 2 devices, Regular 2 gang wall plate will cover. May need stacked if three devices.
    If you are to open wall. Put in three gang box. Can have individual control of each.
    Dimmers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom and kitchen exhaust fan vents [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 290 cfm remote, 4 port bath exhaust fan serving two bathrooms. The exhaust port is 6 inches in diameter. I will be installing a 360 cfm range hood exhausting to 6 inch pipe. Can I join both kitchen and bath exhaust pipes in the attic and have the exhaust for both run out the same...

Bathroom and kitchen exhaust fan vents [ 1 Answers ]

Bathroom and kitchen exhaust fan vents -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a 290 cfm remote, 4 port bath exhaust fan serving two bathrooms. The exhaust port is 6 inches in diameter. I will be installing a 360 cfm range hood exhausting to...

Connecting bathroom exhaust fan [ 2 Answers ]

I presently have a switch in a bathroom with 3 14/2 cables coming into the switch box. The switch only controls a light for the medicine cabinet. All the whites are connected together. Two of the blacks with a pig tale are connected to the bottom screw of the switch. The other black is connected...

Installation of a Bathroom exhaust fan [ 6 Answers ]

My source of power is originating from a light fixture and then goes to a switch. I've pulled a cable from the switch box to a bathroom exhaust fan and wanted to find out how to go about wiring it up. What would normally be a neutral wire (white wire) in this case ends up being the live wire...

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

View more questions Search