Too Short Posts: 85, Reputation: -1

Jun 28, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Not good at this
    What is the sum of the solutions of the equation x2+8x+15=0
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
    I assume that what you meant to ask is the sum of the solutions for:

First step is to factor the equation into the form (x+a)(x+b) =0. I won't do this for you, but you need to find two numbers that when multiplied together give 15, and when added together give 8. From this the two solutions are -a and -b. Add them up to get the answer. Hope this helps get you started.

Jul 2, 2007, 10:37 PM
    5+2
    8+3

Jul 2, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Hi at my school we never learned this so I don't know what to do. I'm trying to learn so I can know what to do in the future.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2007, 11:30 PM
    when you expand you get

Comparing this to your question, we see that a and b need to be 2 numbers such that their sum is 8 and their product is 15.

Can you find the 2 numbers that fit this?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    when you expand you get

Comparing this to your question, we see that a and b need to be 2 numbers such that their sum is 8 and their product is 15.

Can you find the 2 numbers that fit this?
    Ah, good! Capuchin showed up. He can help to show you how to solve problems on your own so that you aren't always looking for people on this site to answer them for you.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2007, 11:50 PM
    Then, once you find a and b (should be quite easy), you can see from (x+a)(x+b) = 0 that the solutions are where x = -a and x = -b (ie where (x+a)=0 or (x+b)=0).

There's your 2 solutions! You just did it! :)

You should now have plenty of information to find the answer to this, and any other quadratic question where the coefficient of is 1.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Even my best isn't good enough to get over the ex. [ 4 Answers ]

Like many of you here, I have my own "ex-story". We dated for over 5 years- started going out in high school and lasted up until a few months after college graduation. She broke it off because she felt the need to date other guys, and I wasn't the best boyfriend I could have been, so I didn't...

Trying to be good [ 4 Answers ]

I guess I'm looking for moral support. I've married for five years and I love my wife. She is the only person that I have ever had sex with. We have been in a realationship since 1992. She is very attractive, even more so than when we first started dating. I don't know if the sex became too...

Here is another good one. [ 1 Answers ]

What PMS Really Stands For: 13. Psychotic Mood Shift 12. Pack My Stuff 11. Permanent Menstrual Syndrome

View more questions Search