Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wing Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Plugged up Cistern?
    I have a problem with a precast cistern that was installed in 1979 that seems to be plugged up. I removed all the dirt from the top and located the square opening to gain entry. It was about half full so I decided to be a brave soul and went in.
    There was about one inch of really fine silt in the bottom and I could not find the output port anywhere along the bottom.
    I am currently draining the system and hopefully when I get out all the water I may find it.
    My question is, do most precast cisterns have a output port along the bottom edge?
    And what would be the best formulation to disinfect the tank when the repairs, and all the silt removed is complete? I was thinking a mix of clorine and water on the way out.
    I think the peoples kids I rented this property to for the last six years was the cause of the silt as I guess they used the check pipe to send stuff into the tank including some toy pieces.
    Thanks to anyone who could help with this unusual problem.:rolleyes:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2007, 04:50 AM
    We don't have cisterns in my area but I did get some specs for a typical rainwater cistern. It has a 4" inlet at the top and a 1 1/4" foot valve with a 1 1/4" female threaded connection about 16" off the bottom in the end of the tank. Chorine and water would be a very good disinfectant. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disposer plugged [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My kitchen sink disposer must be pluged up. The motor runs, and the water swirls, but it stays in the sink. I have tried using a plunger. That did the job a while back, but not this time. It is an IN SINK ERATOR. Any suggestions? toddao

Plugged Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to have a rock stuck up into the toilet. My toilet wasn't flushing well so I felt up into the toilet and found a medium sized rock. But now after, it still doesn't flush well. Actually, I took the toilet off and tried to get into it with a snake but nothing came out. But then the...

Tub drain is plugged. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My tub is not draining at all, not one bit, less than a day earlier it was working just fine. I have plunged, snaked, and used chemicals. My drain pipe is in a heated space. I'm at a loss, so I'm starting to think wacky things like an animal has gotten into the vent stack and is...

Help please Kitchen sink plugged! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my kitchen sink has been plugged for almost 1 week and I am tired of doing sidhes in the sink. After my mom passed away I have been busy with school and work and never had time to actually figure this problem out. So here is the deal. I have a double sink, I purchased the 1sec plumber and...

Plugged drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drinking fountain with a plugged drain, no flow at all. I took the trap apart, and it was open. The drain starts as chromed brass a little over 1'' OD. Where it goes into the wall, it is 1'' or 1 1/4'' galvanized with a compression fitting for the chrome pipe. I managed to get the...

View more questions Search