Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kennyw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Toilet/Shower leak
    Every time we use the shower water drips down into the basement. Behind the shower plumbing is the master bedroom toilet. I have taken off the drywall between the two, from the toilet side, and I can't see any leaks in the shower plumbing. In poking around I have since noticed that the flooring around the base of toilet is spongy so the toilet has been leaking for some time. My question is, can the toilet leak because the shower is being used? Actually the leak seems to increase when the shower has just been turned off.
    Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2007, 06:35 AM
    "can the toilet leak because the shower is being used?"
    No
    "the leak seems to increase when the shower has just been turned off."
    This leads me =to wonder if the leak isn't caused by faulty and shrinking tile grout where the stream hits the shower wall. This would allow the water to run down inside the wall above the shower pan and collect on the flooring.
    This would be my guess instead of a leak in your toilet. Good luck, Tom
    Hillman Hydro Jetting Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 10:04 AM
    It is very hard to diagnos a potial problem with out seeing it, but from my understanding you've taken off the drywall between the two, is the underneth exposed! Can you see the shower drain pee trap to check if that's leaking or maybe the wax ring of you toilet bowl. If that not the case check flow of water do you have a stoppage that sinc it sounds close to (showers 2" drain tied into toilet bend at the base) it coming thur the lowest points tub and tiolet. Leaks are hard especialliy when you don't know what to look for. If you don't secseed don't hesataet to call a professional, it can save you money in water damage and drywall repair! Good luck, James D. Hillman Jr.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Leak [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet is leaking. Excuse my lack of technical terms... but the water is dripping from the top of the pan (where the water comes from when it is flushed) and it is dripping down the back in to the water in the pan. It does it consistently apart from for a really short while after it has been...

Leak in Toilet Drain Line [ 3 Answers ]

I need some advice on a leak I have from the upstairs toilet drain. I've cut holes in the drywall and it seems the leak is right at the connection point where the toilet pvc pipe meets the vertical drain. Any advice on a way to fix this myself? Is there any type of glue or fitting I could put...

Toilet leak [ 4 Answers ]

My plumber has set our new toilet 3 times, but it still leaks around the floor. I marked the water level in the bowl, and overnight the level lowered and water was on the floor even though it had not been flushed. Is it a problem with the wax seal or the toilet? Thanks.

Toilet drain leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leak coming from the drain in a toilet. I have already replaced the wax ring twice to no avial. The water only leaks when a connecting toilet is flushed. The drain pipe connects two bathrooms but the water only leaks from the 2nd toilet when the 1st toilet is flushed. It does not leak...

2nd Story Shower and Toilet Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Yesterday, I noticed a dripping sound on the 1st floor ceiling of my home when the up-stair "master" bath shower was being used. I now hear even louder dripping sounds when the up-stair master bath toilet is flushed. I do not hear dripping sounds when the up-stairs "guest" bath toilet...

View more questions Search