Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Jun 28, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Remedies or oc Medication doe cold sores.
    I would like to know any remedies for cold sores or what medications work the best... Is it possible to get rid of a cold sore in 2 days? Even if its really big and yucky! :(
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Rarely if ever is one able to get rid of a cold sore in 2 days. Abreva works very well in treatment of cold sores. It is a little expensive for a very small tube, but I have found it very effective.

Jun 28, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Yea that's what Im using now but how long does it take to work?? Im soooo desperate!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2007, 01:02 PM
    It works on my son in about 4 days to a week. Unfortunately that is the fastest way that I currently know of. Cold sores are a form of a herpes virus... it is a virus so it must run it's course.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 04:02 PM
    My wife has terrible problems with cold sores-she takes Famvir which is actually for genital herpes-you HAVE to get the doctor to prescribe it as it is not really for oral herpes.

Then there is the situation where you r record will say you have genital herpes! Oh well. However it will prevent an outbreak if taken when the tingle comes. If the attack is severe, then it will take 2 to three days to clear.
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Jun 28, 2007, 04:26 PM
    The best thing to do is to pay attention to the symptoms that an outbreak is happening. Begin treatment as soon as that tingly/burning sensation appears. If your outbreaks are bad, consider seeing your PCP about possibly getting a prescription for acyclovir or valacyclovir.

Jun 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
    What's Acyclovir? Like a pill? Something you have to take all the time or just when the outbreak comes?
    Cinnabar Posts: 113, Reputation: 5

Jun 29, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eljay1103
    Whats Acyclovir?? like a pill?? something you have to take all the time or just when the outbreak comes??
    It's an antiviral medication (yes, in pill form). For cold sores (generally HHV-1), you would only take it when you first feel the symptoms. Genital herpes is often treated with a daily regimen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keep getting boil like sores [ 5 Answers ]

My husband keeps getting these sores that are very painful & are like boils; or cellulitis; he is a roofer & it seems to happen more when they use wood shingles. He has gotten them mostly on his arms & 2 times on the chest... anyone know why, what they are from, & how to keep them from coming back?...

My sores. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Please help me. I need answers SOON! A few days ago I noticed a spot on my elbow. I thought it was a bug bite. It itched terribly and everything. It looks like a mosquito bite but its not. Its been here for over a week now. The scab peeled off. But the bump is still there. A few days...

Any other remedies for Depression? Help! [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 19. I am trying to find ways to help with my depression/anxiety. Its affecting me badly (for an undisclosed reason), and I need all the assistance I can get. I can't go to a doctor (my parents will think I've gone all psycotic or something) so...are there any herbal, theraputic drugs I...

Sores on skin -- ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi -- Recently I noticed that red with white center bumps started to appear on my right arm,elbow, and underarm. At first they just looked like bug bites, either by a spider or maybe a mosquito. A few days later they started to grow larger. Note, during this time I never scratched at them...

View more questions Search