Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Did Jesus teach us to love or dispute?
    Do you truly follow Jesus?
    Public Board 06/28/07
    Hello Everyone,

There are some here who claim to follow Jesus and to be a Christian. They speak love but do not have the same kind of love that Jesus taught his disciples. When Jesus was on earth he went to people with his disciples, teaching and preaching the good news. Jesus gave his followers instructions on how to deal with those unbeliever he met. He did not teach his followers to browbeat, or degrade or even to continue to nag them or threaten those unbelievers with death. Here is what Jesus did teach his disciples back then and if we are His followers then we also should follow his instructions, not our own.

Jesus told his disciples to “shake the dust off your feet,” What did Jesus mean by the words “shake the dust off your feet”? Just before saying this he gave detailed instructions as to what the disciples should and should not do or take with them in the preaching work. Then he spoke the words recorded at Matthew 10:11-15. Let’s see what that says:

Matthew 10:11-15 (New King James Version)
    11 “Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy, and stay there till you go out. 12 And when you go into a household, greet it. 13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet. 15 Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!

Notice, Jesus did not say to “Keep Hounding” the person if they did not listen but notice what he did say.
    !) They were to search out those who were “deserving.”
    But how were the disciples to treat those who did not receive them favorably?
    2) Jesus told them to ‘shake the dust off their feet’ and go on their way.

This means that they would get on with their work of declaring the “good news” and not waste time in angry disputes that would only irritate the householder and rob the disciple of his peace and joy.
    Matthew 10:13 (New King James Version)
    13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.

Acts 13:50-52 (New King James Version)
    50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. 51 But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
    In Luke 9:5 Jesus said to “shake the dust off your feet for a witness against them.” Our role is to provide a witness about the Kingdom and to warn people.

If our message is rejected, we peacefully depart, leaving that house of city to the consequences that will com by God’s hand. You therefore leave the judging up to God to whom it belongs. If we don’t then we are playing god and we do not have the right to do that. We are judging others and who knows, maybe the one judging himself/herself will be judged adversely. How sad that would be. Let no one judge any.

Peter wrote: “But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands of you a reason for the hope in you, but doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect.” 1 Pet. 3:15 These words reveal the mental attitude we should have. This is the mind of Christ!

The following experience shows the wisdom of pursuing peace and not retaliating.
    A young man and I walked up a driveway to call on a home while working in the ministry. When we were about half way up the driveway, the man of the house burst out of the front door yelling for us to get off his property and telling us that he wanted nothing of what we had. We stood motionless until he had finished and we turned and walked back to the street without making any reply whatsoever. We went across the street and talked to a woman for some time, possibly a half hour. When we came out from her house, the previously violent man was standing at the end of his driveway waiting for us. We expected him to yell again. Instead, he had regained his composure, was very mild and apologized for the way he had spoken to us. We feel this sudden change in his attitude was because we did not retaliate.

Romans 12:17-18 (New King James Version)
    17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

Do you think this person would have acted this way if we browbeat him and told him he is going to “die if he don’t listen?”

Regardless of how bitter or indifferent individuals may be, they cannot rob us of our joy and peace if we maintain a proper mental attitude and fine Christian conduct. We all need to start learning first, how to treat others as humans, then we can apply Jesus’ teachings. Until we learn human respect and allow other’s their dignity and freedom of choice, we can not truly follow what Jesus taught.
    No where are we told to get into long disputes when others do not want to hear what we have to say. We are told to “shake the dust off our feet and move on.”

A little humor here: My little four year old was out in the ministry with me one day and the lady was very rude to us. When we were about to move on, she picked up one foot and started shaking it. The lady saw her do that and asked her, “what are you doing?” My daughter just looked at the lady and said; Jesus said: “If people don’t listen to shake the dirt off my feet.” The lady came over and gentle taped my daughter on the head and said to her, “where does it say that, sweaty?” My daughter told her, “In the Bible.” The lady became very nice and invited us to sit on her porch and tell her more. She said she was surprised that a small child would actually be aware of what the Bible said.

So again, following Jesus’ instructions will help us to reach hearts of people, not anger, or hostility or threats, or disputes. Honesty, kindness, patients and peace is what Jesus taught and most of all love for God and for our neighbor, ALL OUR NEIGHBORS, NOT JUST THOSE WHO BELIEVE AS WE DO. So think about the question in the beginning 0f this post.

DO YOU TRULY FOLLOW JESUS AND HIS INSTRUCTIONS?
    Comments Agree or disagree??

Take Care,
    Hope12
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jun 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
    I agree, we loose the spirit of God when we argue. I love to share my beliefs with those who ask. But I hope that my friends and neighbors will see what I believe by my actions rather than my words. If aI am a true follower of Christ the way I live will speak louder than words.
    Bubbler Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jun 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12
    So again, following Jesus' instructions will help us to reach hearts of people, not anger, or hostility or threats, or disputes. Honesty, kindness, patients and peace is what Jesus taught and most of all love for God and for our neighbor, ALL OUR NEIGHBORS, NOT JUST THOSE WHO BELIEVE AS WE DO. So think about the question in the beginning 0f this post.

DO YOU TRULY FOLLOW JESUS AND HIS INSTRUCTIONS?
    Comments Agree or disagree???

Take Care,
    Hope12
    I agree :) !

Actions speak louder than words.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12
    We all need to start learning first, how to treat others as humans, then we can apply Jesus’ teachings. Until we learn human respect and allow other’s their dignity and freedom of choice, we can not truly follow what Jesus taught.
    Well said. Being kind is more important than being right.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jun 28, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Yes, I truly do follow Christ. Those who can control their tongues can also control themselves. The HOLY SPIRIT will give us increasing power to monitor and control what we say so that when we are offended, we will be reminded of God's love and won't react negatively :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We teach others how to treat us [ 7 Answers ]

Do you think this is true "that we teach others how to treat us". I am wondering if anyone has any experience in this subject?

How can I teach him to communicate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for just under 2 years. I really love this guy and have thoroughly enjoyed being with him... however, a problem that comes up periodically is that he seems to lack the ability to communicate about tough topics. We can chat and laugh about the normal things all day...

How to teach an ESL classroom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been teaching English As a Second Language ESL now in different countries but the systems and rules tend to differ from each other.In China students wants you to sing and dance in class,in Japan they just like discussions while in Korea it was a totally different impression;they prefare...

How Do You Teach A Minture Dachund? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have a 1and 1Month Miniature Dachund and His Name is :eek: Sammy:eek: :p :p so any who will you tell me how to teach him tricks?:cool: Cool

Should I teach? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if you could advise me concerning my current education situation. I'm a sophomore tunring into a junior at Rowan University and I was pursuing a major in English and certification to be a teacher. I wanted to be a high school or middle school English/Literature teacher, but I...

View more questions Search