Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candy girl Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2007, 07:25 AM
    How old before can leave child on own
    I have a fifteen year old son, who is very rarely left on his own as I don't work.
    I am looking at going away over night in a few weeks is he to young to be left over night he has a 20 year old sister who will be in over night with him nut she only comes home from midnight from work. To me he is still my baby and am nervous to leave him, some people I know said he is old enough what do you think
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 07:31 AM
    My 15 year old has stayed by himself till midnight. I call to check on him and make sure he has our numbers. However he knows all of the rules of our home and knows he had better abide by them. I also let a trusted neighbor know that he will be there alone. I say as long as your 20 year old will definitely be home, shortly after work he should be fine.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Its hard to say without knowing your son. But if he is mature and trustworthy, then it shouldn't be a problem. Often a child will try to live up to the parent's expectations in a situation like this.
    laurenjd Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Jun 28, 2007, 09:08 AM
    I think 15 is plenty old enough. It would just be a matter of whether you feel you can trust him. Only you know your son.
    sooverit_81 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
    15 is old enough. Think of this as putting your parenting skills to the test. If you have taught him well then he should be just fine. And you seem like a fine parent. Don't worry about it. He'll be okay.
    SoonToBeMumOf5 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2007, 02:25 PM
    I gradually let my son be left long in the house on his own... and now he's 15 and babysits his 3 wee brothers sometimes.. its great
    daydreamer62182 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by candy girl
    i have a fifteen year old son, who is very rarely left on his own as i dont work.
    i am looking at going away over night in a few weeks is he to young to be left over night he has a 20 year old sister who will be in over night with him nut she only comes home from midnight from work. to me he is still my baby and am nervous to leave him, some people i know said he is old enough what do you think
    Oh yeah! My mom left me home alone when I was 12! He's a big boy, I think he can handle it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Legal age to leave child overnight? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the legal age a mature child can be left alone if his fathers adult cousin lives across the street and his mother lives at the end of the block in Forestville Calif?:rolleyes:

Child custody... Can she leave the state [ 5 Answers ]

I had posted on here a couple of weeks ago about how my wife is talking with an ex and considering leaving me. She hasn't left yet, but its something we fight about everyday. I just have 1 simple question. Lets assume we divorce and she gets custody of our daughter. If she were to move to...

View more questions Search