Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betsykrawiec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 06:56 AM
    401(k) to purchase new home
    I am considering using a small amount of my retirement account toward the purchase of our new home - what are the penalties/ramifications of doing this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Don't do it! First you will pay a 10% penalty. In addition, what you withdraw will be added to your taxable income for the year.

Check to see if your 401K has a loan provision. If so take out a loan for the amount you need. A 401K loan is paid back top yourself including the interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 k early withdrawal penalty - first time home purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I took out a portion of my 401k to go towards the purchase of a new home. Although this is my first purchase, I did put my name on refinance paper when my husband and I decided to refinance his home 2 years ago (he purchased before we met). Since I put my name on the refinance papers is that...

Home Purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to purchase a home. The selling price for the want I want is $215,000. It is beyond my budget. I was told that the sellers can't drop their price because they will loose money. I want my mortgage to be within my means... Is there anything I can do to change their minds? When they...

Looking to purchase my first home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am in my late 20's and am looking to purchase my first home within the next few months. I have been on my job for 3 years, and I make a decent salary for my age. I ran my credit the other day and it looks as though I owe about $800 on my credit. I recently purchased an 06 Chevy, interest...

View more questions Search